Fear of fire fee losing election extinguished

Voting took place at Loachapoka's town hall. (Anna Claire Conrad / COPY EDITOR)

The special election for the increase and renewal of the fire fee in Lee County was held today, May 29, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the town hall in Loachapoka. By 7:30 p.m., the ballots were counted, and the results were posted on the town hall's front door. The Southwest Lee County Fire Protection Authority can rest easy. The vote passed.

Two polling sites were set up for this election--one at the Lexington Hotel University Convention Center on South College Street and another at the Loachapoka Town Hall.

251 Lee County residents voted, with 225 in favor of the fee renewal and increase from $25 per structure per year to $50. 26 residents voted against it.

Volunteer fire fighters from Southwest were present at both sites throughout the day campaigning in favor of the fee's increase and renewal, waving signs and signaling to passersby where to cast their votes. Several informative signs were also posted in front of the Lexington Hotel, by the trailer parks on Wire Road and throughout Loachapoka.

These efforts combined with the hours spent at town meetings, church halls and public gatherings by the volunteer fire fighters and citizens of Lee County in favor in the fire fee increase and renewal proved successful with tonight's victory.

Now that the vote has passed, this volunteer fire department will continue to serve and protect the residents of Lee County as immediate responders to fires, medical emergencies, car accidents, and other various emergencies.

This legislation will take effect in October and remain in action until Fall 2037.

Share and discuss “Fear of fire fee losing election extinguished” on social media.