Fall movie list may not be the usual letdown

Fall has never been the season for going to the movies.

Everyone knows the best movies are the summer blockbusters and the winter epics. Everything else consists of the predictable horror films and Oscar-bait dramas. Even with the upcoming football season to replace most students' entertainment needs, there are still a few reasons to head to the movies this fall.

The end of August marks the beginning of fall as well as the release of "Lawless," a movie set in the height of prohibition and centered around bootlegging protagonists portrayed by a post-Transformers Shia Labeouf and Tom Hardy ("The Dark Knight Rises"). Labeouf and Hardy are backed up by an exceptional cast in what probably won't live up to summer action standards, but should provide some variety from the slew of comic book films. "Lawless" opens Aug. 29.

For anyone anxiously awaiting epics like "The Hobbit" and "The Great Gatsby," "the new movie from the Wachowski siblings "Cloud Atlas" should satisfy. Judging from the 6 minute trailer, this film is bound to be as visually stunning as "Avatar" and rivals "Inception" in confusing plotlines. This new film from the creators of "The Matrix" will definitely be interesting. "Cloud Atlas" opens Oct. 26.

For the young at heart, Disney is releasing a new animated film this November. "Wreck-It Ralph" is a film about an arcade game character who wants to be more than the "bad guy". Ralph, the bad guy in the arcade game Fix-It Felix Jr., leaves his game to explore games. With a comedic cast including John C. Riley, Jane Lynch, and Sarah Silverman, this film promises to be the heart-warming comedic adventure Disney usually delivers. "Wreck-It Ralph" opens November 2.

Since the release of "Quantum of Solace" in 2008, the next installment in the James Bond series has been eagerly awaited. "Skyfall" is one of the most anticipated films of the fall season. In this film, Bond's loyalty to MI6 and M will be tested. After watching the thrilling trailer, this film is sure to have plenty of 007 charm and live up to the Bond legacy.

Daniel Craig and Judi Dench return to reprise their roles with new additions to the cast, Ralph Feinnes and Javier Bardem. "Skyfall" opens Nov. 9, just in time for Bond's 50th anniversary.

Share and discuss “Fall movie list may not be the usual letdown” on social media.