'Tis the season

For this year’s Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game on Sept. 1, Andrew Yawn, sports editor for The Auburn Plainsman, and Clemson student Robbie Tinsley, sports editor for The Tiger News, answered one another’s questions and offered predictions for the teams’ first game of the season.
RT: After Gus Malzahn bolted for Arkansas State, what is everyone’s general feeling on new offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler and his new more traditional-style offense?
AY: So far, Auburn fans seem optimistic about Loeffler’s offensive system. It’s more pro-style and is based more on reading defenses than tricking or outrunning them. Plus, the list of quarterbacks he has trained is impressive. The guy helped make Tim Tebow the nation’s most efficient passer in 2009. That’s got to give anybody optimism considering Auburn’s quarterback quandary since Cam Newton left.
RT: With power teams like LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and maybe even Texas A&M, how big of a worry is it for Auburn that they could start to lag behind those teams, and how much pressure is on Gene Chizik to make sure that doesn’t happen?
AY: There’s always pressure in the SEC. Falling behind any divisional opponent is always a concern, but Gene Chizik doesn’t think that way. In his mind, his team has the ability to win every time it steps on the field. Obviously LSU and Alabama are the favorites, but Auburn sees the team as a sort of dark horse this season.
RT: New coordinator on the defensive side as well, but Brian VanGorder at least has some toys to play with that Loeffler might not. Is it safe to say that Auburn will to lean on its defense early in the season?
AY: The defense and offense are in the same place as far as learning all new systems from extremely detailed-oriented coaches. The defense has more veteran leadership in senior linebacker Darren Bates, junior linebacker Jake Holland and junior defensive end Corey Lemonier, a Bronko Nagurski Trophy and Ted Hendricks Award watch list pick.
AY: With Sammy Watkins out of the lineup against Auburn, who will Clemson lean on to catch the ball in the clutch for Tajh Boyd?
RT: You’ll definitely see Tajh Boyd look DeAndre Hopkins’s way more often as he did in the North Carolina game last year when Sammy was dinged up. Hopkins might have the best hands on the team, and I think a lot of Clemson fans think that he’s overlooked in the media spotlight. Outside of Hopkins, look for sophomores Martavis Bryant and Charone Peake to have an increased role with the absence of Watkins. Bryant is more of deep threat, while Peake has a little more bulk and is more of a possession receiver.
AY: With last season’s 70–33 loss to West Virginia, is Clemson using that as motivation to prove that was a fluke or has this team put it behind them?
RT: I think it’s a little bit of both. I think the defense is definitely using it as motivation and it’s given them a little bit of a chip on their shoulder, but at the same time, they won’t want to dwell on that defeat. I think it’s probably more motivation than anything and not just for the defense, but for the entire team, because all they have heard in the offseason is questions about that game.
AY: What can fans expect from Clemson’s defense this season, after losing Andre Branch and hiring Brent Venables as the new defensive coordinator?
RT: The best thing we’ve heard is that the defense is a lot simpler than it was last year. With Venables, you will hopefully see a lot less missed assignments, but it’s still a young defense, mostly in the front seven.

Share and discuss “'Tis the season” on social media.