Editorial: No excuse for hate, violence

(Rachel Suhs / DESIGN EDITOR)
(Rachel Suhs / DESIGN EDITOR)

We appreciate anyone of all faiths and beliefs. We think there is no need to hate anyone for being different. Not in the hippie nonsense sort of way, of course, but in the idea that every human deserves respect and the chance to live their life.
It would be great if everyone else shared that viewpoint. Then we wouldn't hear about large-scale riots in the Middle East over a film made by bigots; then we wouldn't hear about lunatics protesting funerals.
Religious extremism is completely unnecessary. However, using the doctrines of a seemingly benevolent faith as a reason to hate and kill appears to be a popular trend nowadays.
Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. Many struggling nations in the Middle East and North Africa have adopted Islam as a national religion and have even formed governments around the doctrine of the faith.
Although this growth scares a lot of people in the West, it really isn't a big deal.
Yes, Muslim extremists exist, and their actions are heinous and misguided. Those who participated in the violent protests on Sept. 11 are reactionaries who have no concept of the value of human life.
But these people don't represent all Muslims.
In fact, they are a small fraction when compared to the number of Muslims worldwide, yet the idea that all Muslims are terrorists seems to be a popular notion in the West. Many have held peaceful protests in response to the inflammatory "Innocence of Muslims" film. Some have even apologized for the horrendous violence of the other protests.
The events of Sept. 11, 2001, have been burned into our national memory forever. We've all been negatively affected by that tragedy, and it will be years before we can find any closure or reconciliation--if we find any at all.
We do not have the right, however, to use that tragedy as motivation for prejudice. Much like Muslim extremists have no right to murder when they are offended.
The lack of respect and tolerance on both sides is astounding. We are falling into the trap of letting ourselves be defined by the idiots among us, like those who think the right of free speech allows them to propagate hate or violence.
We could offer a solution, but what could it be?
Most of us know there is no reason to hate or kill because of our petty differences--religion, race and nationality are petty differences whether you like it or not. But some of us still feel the need to act like monsters.
It's sad that we still have to question our humanity in 2012.

Share and discuss “Editorial: No excuse for hate, violence” on social media.