Art and censorship hot topics at JCSM

Thursday, Oct. 4 at 5:30 p.m., the "Life Interrupted" film series will have a screening of "Cradle Will Rock" at JCSM. (Courtesy of jcsm.auburn.edu)

The combination of politics and fine arts is once again the topic of discussion at Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art.

Thursday, Oct. 4 at 5:30 p.m., the "Life Interrupted" film series will have a screening of "Cradle Will Rock."

"This film, which was made in 1999, is about a 1930s event that actually took place," said Scott Bishop, curator of education at the museum. "A musical drama, which is quite leftist, is censored and attempts made to stop its production. There's a strong parallel between politics and culture in the film."

Focused on censorship and the arts, "Cradle Will Rock" was written and directed by Tim Robbins and features performances from Hank Azaria, Joan Cusack, John Cusack, Bill Murray and Susan Sarandon.

Chase Bringardner, assistant professor of theatre, will be introducing the film and leading the discussion after the showing.

The "Life Interrupted" film series ties in with the current exhibition at Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art, "Art Interrupted."

"'Life Interrupted is tied in thematically with 'Art Interrupted,'" said Charlotte Hendrix, communications and marketing specialist at JCSM. "'Art Interrupted' is our current exhibition of 107 of the original 117 works of 'Advancing American Art.'"

Bishop said the works that made up "Advancing American Art" were chosen to be sent abroad and represent and demonstrate "American ascendency and cultural diplomacy."

However after a controversy surrounding the "Advancing American Art" exhibition, it was closed early.

"'Advancing American Art' was assembled by the State Department in 1946 and was intended to tour internationally." Hendrix said. "But after criticism from politicians it was revoked."

Both the exhibition and the film demonstrate the power and influence the arts can have on the political atmosphere of the time period.

Through both the series and the exhibition, JCSM is working to demonstrate the impact of art's influence in politics and culture.

"It's about modernism; it's about the political and cultural spirit of the time," Bishop said.

Bishop said JCSM welcomes visitors to view the exhibition every day for free, and she recommends taking the time to view the exhibition before the film showing.

"The galleries are open until 5 o'clock, and we're open every day of the week," Bishop said. "It's a big exhibition that's worth coming over and spending time having a look at."

The films that are part of the "Life Interrupted" film series are specifically chosen to demonstrate the strong connection and influence art can have in society.

"All of the films deal with sort of that connection between politics and art," Hendrix said.

Admission to the showing is free, and desserts and drinks will be provided by the JCSM cafe, Bishop said.

The next film in the "Life Interrupted" series will play next week, Thursday, Oct. 11. "Intruder in the Dust" will be shown at 5:30 p.m.

"Art Interrupted" remains at JCSM until Jan. 5, 2013, and JCMS is open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:45 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.-4:45 p.m.

Share and discuss “Art and censorship hot topics at JCSM” on social media.