Veteran's Center moves to new, larger location

The ribbon is cut at Foy, where ROT C members and other members of the community toured the new Veteran's Resource Center during the grand opening Tuesday, Nov. 13. (Danielle Lowe / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Foy Hall has become home sweet home for Auburn's veterans and the Veteran's Resource Center, as it moves from its previous space in the Haley Center.

As Auburn recruits more and more veterans to the University, the Veteran's Resource Center was running out of space to provide services to the students.

"The resource center will be providing academic support services and career services," said Johnny Green, director of the Auburn University Student Resource Center.

"We have even partnered with some outside groups to have a variety of programs available to the veterans here in the center."

The center also provides the student veterans with services that do not relate to academics.

"We have marriage and family counseling, as well as PTSS, post traumatic stress syndrome services," Green said.

Dan McClain, student veteran and junior in computer science, said he found tremendous transitional help through the resource center.

"It really helped me connect to people that I felt understood me and my mentality," McClain said. "Right after high school I joined the army. I was only 17 when I went through basic training. I had one semester of college in before I received my deployment notice for Afghanistan."

When McClain came to Auburn he was looking for something to get involved in on campus, and he found the perfect opportunity at the resource center.

"Eventually, I started working on the website, and still do," McClain said. "I just stuck around and after all the other officers were gone, I was available and was a good candidate for president."

McClain recommends any veteran looking for a job to go to the resource center.

"Dr. Green is very well-connected throughout campus," McClain said. "If there was anything I needed, say about obtaining a research position or who to talk to for that, he knew where to go."

"Anything you need help with as a student, like academics, career, or even personal services, people there are very well-connected."

The center provides space for other services as well, Green said.

"Students also come here to do other work because we now have a computer center here," Green said. "They check email, print papers or do homework."

The new location will also provide gathering spaces for students, Green said.

"The University's job is not only to recruit students, but also retain them and graduate them," Green said. "We think that is very important as veterans now to transition from the military and the military life to students."

The Veteran's Resource Center is located in 217 Foy Hall. Walk-in hours are from 1 - 4:15p.m.

Share and discuss “Veteran's Center moves to new, larger location” on social media.