Her view: Auburn experience creates fond, lasting memories for senior

The first time I will step foot in the Auburn Arena, I will be graduating.

My time here has been somewhat short, but I am proud to forever call Auburn University my alma mater. I've grown up around the area, so Auburn traditions were not new to me, not even with my entire family rooting for Alabama (yes, I come from a family of Bammers... don't tell anyone!).

However, when it came time to choose a college, one may be surprised to know that I didn't even apply to Auburn.

I wanted to go to a school farther away from home to study music education. The fact that I'm sitting here now on Auburn soil, shortly before graduation, should tell you that things change. I've never craved this Auburn spirit, but now that I'm here and have been immersed in this culture rich with tradition, I can honestly say that I love it.

I find myself pouring through books about Auburn's history; I just can't get enough of it. I love this town. I love this campus. And, I love this University.

My first year here began in the fall of 2010 (the year of the reign of Cam Newton). Not being a big fan of football, I found myself becoming agitated at the football craze. However, I also saw how united this University could be.

First came the poisoning of our beloved Toomer's Oaks. Before I officially heard of what happened, I saw people rallied around the trees with signs, candles, and flowers as if someone had died. Someone's selfish act proved to me that this University could pull itself together for a cause.

In the spring of 2011, tornadoes ravaged the town of Tuscaloosa. Being from a family of Bammers, I understand the intense rivalry, yet Auburn students once again amazed me with their actions.

Tuscaloosa, the most hated place on the planet for most Auburn fans, was left to pick up pieces of their town. Yet, Auburn students and fans flocked to Tuscaloosa to aid in relief. This act blew me away. Auburn was able to put aside its prejudices and offer a helping hand to the biggest rival school with no questions asked.

Auburn saw that someone needed help, and answered in tremendous response despite a heated rivalry.

Then, in fall of 2011, tornadoes rattled Auburn. The devastation was nowhere near that of Tuscaloosa's tornadoes, but the impact was still powerful. Students' homes were damaged, leaving them with no place to go.

Once again, Auburn pulled together to help those who needed it.

Students and faculty opened their homes to those who lost theirs in the storms. The University provided shelter to those who needed it.

My total time here at Auburn has been two and a half years (five semesters), and what I've learned from professors and everyone involved at Auburn has surpassed my expectations.

Some days, I hate my classes and being on campus, and I consider leaving and becoming a professional couch surfer. However, I know that coming to Auburn has been my best decision that I have ever made.

I am proud to call myself a member of the Auburn family, and I know that Auburn will affect my future, both in my career and in my personal life.

I believe that Auburn has given me the best it has to offer. I believe that the Auburn spirit has affected and will continue to affect my life.

I believe in Auburn and love it!

Kayla Strickland

Graduating Senior

English Education

Share and discuss “Her view: Auburn experience creates fond, lasting memories for senior” on social media.