Her view: Runner's high: exercising away stress

If you're like most people, going for a run sounds like a marvelous idea until you're actually running and suddenly you feel like you're going to faint or die or both. Which makes one wonder: how do people do it religiously? Or more importantly, why?

We've asked various runners from around Auburn's campus why they have such an affinity for the sport and have finally come to a sort of understanding as to why people subject themselves to something so physically challenging.

Abby Marcey, a sophomore studying exercise science with a minor in psychology, has always enjoyed being active.

"I grew up with a mom who ran marathons, so running was just part of my life," Marcey said. "I didn't start really enjoying running though until I came to college. I feel so good after. Even while I am running it gives me time to think or just get emotions out."

Like many other runners, Marcey is motivated by the want to stay in shape, but now that running is a part of her daily routine, it doesn't feel as much like a chore as it used to. It's turned into something she can't go a day without.

"I enjoy the daily endorphins I get from running. I tend to be a meaner, more grouchy person without them. I definitely have become addicted to running," Marcey said. "I force myself to take rest days because I know my body needs it but its hard!"

Similarly to Marcey, Maryjane Simms, sophomore in marketing, spends a lot of her time running to train for an upcoming Disney half-marathon.

"I like to run because I can think more clearly while running" Simms said. "Being able to see how far my body will let me run motivates me."

Simms's training requires approximately 3-4 hours a week, where she runs 5-6 miles on Tuesday and Thursday and longer on Sunday.

But will she run as much without the competitive motivation of a half-marathon?

"I will probably continue running every day even without competitive motivation, but not for longer than seven or eight miles," Simms said.

Lindsey Shapker, sophomore in chemistry, uses running as a way to stay fit and in shape.

"I like to run to not have to focus on things stressing me out in life," Shapker said. "The beginning of my training was overwhelming because I never thought that I would be able to run long distances, but it got easier."

Shapker is also motivated to run so she can cross doing a half-marathon off her bucket list.

Every runner interviewed has had a moment while running where they didn't think they could go on, but rather than giving up they all claimed to push through and are always proud of themselves when they do.

"You just have to find it in you to keep going. No one and nothing can do that for you. I would always think about how great I would feel if I kept going and how accomplished I would feel in the end," Marcey said.

Share and discuss “Her view: Runner's high: exercising away stress” on social media.