Student volunteer fights flames with fire department

Will Campbell, sophomore in public administration, has always felt the need to help people. As an aspiring firefighter, he's been given the opportunity to do just that.

"I always thought (firefighting) was cool, but it was my roommate who got me interested because he is an EMT at the fire department," Campbell said. "Plus, I always wanted to help people."

Campbell is currently attending fire school at the Southwest Fire Department, a volunteer fire department in Lee County. He feels Southwest will prepare him for what he will hopefully go through at Auburn's fire school.

In order to be accepted into the fire school, Campbell had to complete an application, go through a rigorous physical fitness course to ensure he was in good enough shape for the intensity of the job and lastly had to interview.

Campbell said the volunteer fire department doesn't mandate its firefighters be at the firehouse all the time, but requests they come when they can. In Campbell's case, because he is going through fire school, he has to attend class at 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then has hands-on training on Sunday.

"It's been a great and fun experience," Campbell said. "A typical day is hanging out at the fire department until getting a call to go on scene, where the majority of the time the calls are for medical care or car accidents."

In addition to those calls, Campbell regularly directs traffic on scene, helps patients onto stretchers and assists the paramedics in any way he can. Because he is still going through fire school, he also observes a lot.

As for the gear, Campbell said the air tank poses the greatest challenge.

"The gear isn't that heavy when you first put it on--the heaviest thing is the 40-50 pound air tank you have on your back, but after a long time of doing physically exerting things, the equipment gets heavier and heavier," he said. "We would like to have all our gear on in two minutes or under and actually do two minute drills training for that purpose."

Campbell said he is very excited about what his future in firefighting holds.

"I'm most excited about potentially getting to save lives--it's really awesome just to think about," he said.

He added that working together is a huge part of the job.

"Being a firefighter is all about teamwork," Campbell said. "If it weren't, then when we were on scene, things would just be complete chaos. You have to look after each other, especially when going in to save someone in a fire."

There is no doubt about it--Campbell loves what he does.

"I have already been able to go on some pretty intense calls," he said. "The feeling of hearing that dispatch tone to go out on a call, then hurrying yourself to get dressed, get in the fire engine and the excitement of driving to the scene."

"Once on scene, getting out of the vehicle and everyone seeing you get out, you're just like 'yes, I'm here to save lives and help in any way I can,'" Campbell said. "That has got to be the most exhilarating and awesome feeling in the world."

After graduation, Campbell hopes to become an arson investigator, which is someone who determines how a fire started. If not that, he said he would also like to become a detective.

Share and discuss “Student volunteer fights flames with fire department” on social media.