Upcoming tornado season calls for safety measures

Alabamians know to react fast when a tornado siren is signaled. Mother Nature isn't to be messed with in the South, where tornados will tear through any town at a moments notice.
The University has taken every precaution and developed severe weather plans over time to keep everyone on campus safe.
"I feel very comfortable with our preparations for severe weather," said Susan Mccallister, associate director of public safety information and education. "We are a storm-ready university, which is a recognition by the National Weather Service."
To receive recognition, the National Weather Service first reviewed the University's severe weather policies and plan, and then visited campus to review all aspects of its preparedness. Once those were deemed safe and met standards, the University was officially recognized as storm ready.
A stroll through any building on campus will display the University's preparedness, as people will notice green, black and white signs that identify areas of shelter. Also, everyone on campus is aware of AU Alert, which was updated through a new company, Rave Mobile Safety, and ensures speedy transmission of alert messages to students and faculty.
Prior to the update, AU Alert wasn't the quickest method of releasing messages and students weren't as trusting of the system, said Mccallister. However, since the update, everyone on campus will receive notifications within a few minutes of a warning, without delay.
"People can get quick warning when there is a tornado warning," Mccallister said. "If a warning is issued and we're in the path of storm, they need to take action immediately, and don't question it."
Once an alert is signaled, students and faculty are encouraged to reach the nearest area of shelter on campus and wait until everything is clear. If students are riding Tiger Transit, then bus drivers will stop the vehicle and lead students to the nearest building for shelter, as they have been trained to do. Those living off campus need to seek shelter in a windowless room on a bottom floor, basement. Mccallister explained that the library and Green Hall are two areas on campus that are open during severe weather.
Alert messages will provide enough time for people to travel to those locations before weather strikes. However, it would be incorrect to assume that every student knows what to do, especially those who come from areas that aren't affected by tornados.
Alexandra Garcia, senior in applied mathematics and Florida native, said she didn't know anything about tornados prior to coming to Auburn. In south Florida, they are accustomed to hurricanes, for which ample warning is provided.
Students living on campus, such as Garcia, are required to learn about severe weather procedures during mandatory hall meetings in the fall, said Kim Trupp, University director of housing.
Mccallister encourages students to have a plan of action before a storm strikes, have necessary equipment and supplies ready for an emergency, and if possible, wear a helmet of any kind when taking shelter for increased protection.
Students who aren't familiar with severe weather procedures or how to prepare can learn more at auburn. edu/administration/public_safety/emergency/.

Share and discuss “Upcoming tornado season calls for safety measures” on social media.