Golf team prepares for SEC Championships

The No. 20 ranked men's golf team has been preparing for the upcoming 2013 SEC Championships April 16-18. Finishing second last year, the Tigers continue to look for their first conference title since 2002.

Led by seniors Dominic Bozzelli and Michael Herbert, the team has won three tournaments and recorded three top-three performances this season. Earlier in March, the Tigers won the Mobile Classic and Samford Intercollegiate back-to-back, defeating the competition by a combined 15 strokes.

"I think everyone is starting to peak at the right time," said Bozzelli. "I know if we play to our potential we're capable of playing with any team in the country.

The SEC Championships will be held at the Seaside Golf Club in St. Simons Island, Ga. The 6,945 yard par 70 course features tight fairways and greens.

"We know it's a little tight off the tee," said Herbert. "You have to be able to hit it accurately. It's also right off the coast so it tends to blow and get pretty windy."

Herbert commented that a lot of the Auburn players have competed at Seaside and the experience should help them throughout the tournament.

"Its an awesome area for golf, right by the water," said Bozzelli. "Its not a very long course so you have to hit it straight and our short game has to be pretty good this week with the tight grass around the greens. It's tough for the short game."

Individually, Bozzelli won the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii and Herbert has two top-three finishes at The McLaughlin and Mobile Bay Classic.

"It was nice to start off the spring season with a win in Hawaii," said Bozzelli. "After that I started fine tuning a little bit and hoped to peak at the right time with the SEC Championships coming up. I feel like I'm in a good spot right now with my swing."

Head coach Nick Clinard has now won 11 team and 11 individual events in his four seasons with the Tigers and has led the Tigers to the most successful three and a half year span in Auburn men's golf history. The only thing missing is a SEC Championship.

To get the title, Auburn will have to face five national top-25 ranked teams that include No. 1 Alabama and No. 8 Florida.

"Overall it's been a pretty good year. I expect for us to give it our best," said Herbert. "Most of us have played the course before and hopefully we'll get a good showing and get a win."

After the SEC Championships, the Tigers will head to the NCAA Regional competition May 16-18.

Share and discuss “Golf team prepares for SEC Championships” on social media.