It's not Jan. 1, but it's Persian New Year

Sale no Mobarak!

The Iranian Student Association celebrated Norouz Saturday, March 23, at the Busch Center on Thach.

Norouz is the Persian New Year and Sale no Mobarak means Happy New Year to You in Farsi.

"Norouz, which is our new year, means, 'New Day' and it's the first day of spring," said Navideh Noori, graduate student in Forestry Wildlife Sciences. "We celebrate that. Spring is the be- ginning of regrowth."

Noori is an Iran native and serves as the IRSA's Treasurer. She has been in America since 2011.

"I think it is the biggest event and tradition in Iran for us," Noori said. "This celebration is for the family. It's like your version of Thanksgiving."

Members of the IRSA came together for Norouz by making customary dishes, replicating traditions and celebrating the culture.

"Iranians love to stay up late," said Dana Lashley, IRSA President and graduate student in chemistry and biochemistry.

Each member made and brought their own traditional Persian dish.

"A lot of Persian gatherings are about food. The sharing of food is really important," Lashley said. "Most Persian food is decorated, you also feast with your eyes. It's not uncommon that you see any dish on the table that has little flowers or what not."

Norouz is such a monumental day that it is measured down to the exact moment. According to Bahareh Ramezan Pour, native Farci-speaker and graduate student in Mechanical Engineering, it is possible to have guests even as late as 4 a.m.

"New Year in Persian dates back 3,000 years," Ramezan Pour said. "We have a different calendar. We celebrate a special day, special minute and special second, because the way the moon and the earth revolve around each other in a special second the spring will start."

In Iranian cultures it is customary to celebrate with family, which is why she said she's glad to have this celebration.

Ramezan Pour said. "Because in these days, you would like to be with your family. It is really important to have someone else with you."

They also decorate a Haft-Seen table; a celebratory altar that includes seven items all starting with the Farci letter "seen." The specific meaning and items used are particular to families, but the IRSA had plants, an apple, rose water, vinegar, garlic, cookies and a goldfish each symbolizing everything from earth to love to rebirth.

They had member musicians play classical Persian music played on piano and Santour, a traditional Persian instrument. They had 40 in attendance, 25 of which were members. The remaining 15 were guests, and the celebration didn't end until well after midnight.

Share and discuss “It's not Jan. 1, but it's Persian New Year” on social media.