Big Cat Weekend looks to impress recruits

Auburn football's fifth annual Big Cat Weekend hopes to impress some of nation's top high school prospects May 24-25 with its unique approach to recruiting.

Started by former head coach Gene Chizik in the summer of 2009, Big Cat has paid for itself time and time again, pulling in recruits from across the country. Current head coach Gus Malzahn was offensive coordinator under Chizik for three Big Cat Weekends and knows its success first-hand.

Since 2010, 42 commitments have come from players in attendance at Big Cat. This year should prove just as successful. During Memorial Day weekend, some of the nation's top recruits agreed to attend.

Big Cat differs from traditional recruiting visits by providing a more personal approach toward recruits and their families. The focus of the event is not necessarily on football, but to establish relationships between the recruits and current coaches, players and members of the athletic department. Traditionally, Big Cat featured a fun-filled two days of socials, cookouts and family activities including games of Family Feud.

The Auburn Tigerettes and Tiger Hosts will be a large part of the festivities this weekend. As the official hosts of the athletic department, the Tigerettes and Tiger Hosts are students responsible for guiding recruits and their families on tours and assisting coaches in day-to-day recruiting activities.

"Big Cat is a chance for recruits to really get to see Auburn and get to know the coaches," said Weston Awtry, a second-year Tiger Host. "They're going to be going through a mix of camp-type activities with the experience of an unofficial visit."

Big Cat is a break for the high school prospects with no football-related activities unless a recruit has never visited before. Summer is full of recruiting camps where players run drills and scrimmage against one another hoping to impress college scouts and raise their recruitment stock. Big Cat offers a carefree environment before camps start and helps build a connection between recruits and the school.

"It's much more laid back than a typical visit. Big Cat gives prospects more time to talk amongst one another and have a good time," said Wayne Parnell, a first-year Tiger Host. "Auburn can set itself apart from other schools with this event alone."

Auburn hopes to bring its top 25-30 targets for the class of 2014 this weekend, and some of the nation's top prospects have announced their attendance.

Four-star linebacker Tre Williams committed to Auburn May 8 and is excited to attend Big Cat. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound, St. Paul's Episcopal rising senior is ranked No. 2 at the inside linebacker position and No. 33 overall in the nation according to Rivals 100.

"I'm happy Auburn is being different. You can actually sit down and talk to coaches, laugh with them and get to know other players. I think you can get to know people better at Big Cat than at a Junior Day," Williams told Rivals.com.

Joining Williams will be the nation's No. 3 defensive tackle and No. 39 overall prospect Elisha Shaw. At 6-foot-6, 300 pounds, Shaw is quickly becoming one of the best players in the class of 2014 and is expected to rise in national rankings.

"I want to learn more about Auburn during the visit. I like the sound of a relaxed, stress-free visit," said Shaw to AuburnSports.com. "I want to see Auburn behind-the-scenes. The players will shoot you straight."

With just over a week until Cedartown, Ga., running back Nick Chubb announces his college commitment, Big Cat could prove the final push for the No. 70 player in the country. Chubb currently has 18 offers from schools and has Auburn, Georgia and South Carolina high on his list. Before the big decision he plans to visit all three schools in three days including Big Cat Weekend Saturday, a visit to Georgia Friday and South Carolina Sunday.

"We've got a lot of big-time recruits coming in this weekend," Awtry said. "Overall, we're really looking forward to it. Big Cat shows the ambitions and goals of this program."

Eight players in Rivals' top 250 list of ranked prospects have confirmed their attendance at Big Cat Weekend. If the previous four Big Cats Weekend and recent recruiting success of the new staff under Malzahn are any indication of what is to come, Auburn could see multiple commitments following the Big Cat Weekend.

Share and discuss “Big Cat Weekend looks to impress recruits” on social media.