Day in Life: Personal Trainer

What does your job entail?
It entails meeting with clients and making fitness programs that are specific to their goals and physiology, whether it's modifications based on injury or based on what their expectations are.

What do your clients use the class for?
Most of it is for shape and losing weight. Toning is what we get a lot. We do have some that want to gain muscle.

What is your past experience in personal training?
Throughout the years, I have developed and maintained certifications.
I started as a trainer because I was in the exercise science program here and this was a learning base program at first.
I also teach group fitness classes and have an ergonomics background.

How many hours do you devote to personal training a week?
15 hours per week. We also do functional moving screenings where we will do tests on flexibility and range of motion.
That helps us identify motion deficiencies or risk for injury and that's how we base our programs. We build workouts off of their improvements.

What is your most popular time in the day to train?
Mornings. Faculty a lot of times, it's during their lunch breaks. I'll be here from 6 a.m.-3 or 4 p.m.

How long and how many sessions are there?
We do an hour-long session. With the way the new programs are built, you can do as many sessions a week as you want.
They buy a package that can be anywhere from three to 30 sessions. Whenever they schedule a session that takes one away.

What do you hope to gain from this experience as a personal trainer?
I'm hoping to one day become a fitness coordinator at another university. Whether it's group fitness coordinator, or moving on to a director, or associate director somewhere.

How would you describe yourself as a trainer?
I play a happy medium. I'm not going to yell at someone, but I'm going to push them a little bit harder than what they think they can do.
I think to be a motivator you have to let someone know that they can come outside of their comfort zone and do a little bit more because without us.
They are probably just doing their bare minimum outside of here, so I need to push them a little bit hard.

Who do you recommend your training for?
I recommend this to anybody because we can build your program. We have anywhere from collegiate athletes to faculty members. We have our healthy way program for individuals that might not necessarily be as active, but they do group fitness and two personal training sessions and meet with a dietitian.

Favorite part of the job?
Definitely the conversation and getting to know people. It's like I get to socialize at my job all day.
Some people I still go out and catch dinner with during the week and some people you see them in this setting and you just say hey to them on the street.

Least favorite part of the job?
That I loose people at the end of the semester, whether they're graduating or financially they can't do it. I lose that contact with them.

Odd training techniques?
We do metabolic training. It's called hurricane training. It's also Tabata and interval training and you could do a 30-minute workout and be laying on the ground. It's pretty difficult.

Advice for students wanting to be in this profession?
My advice would be to get out there and see what you're interested in and get certifications.
If they want to be in this type of environment or career, definitely get here and talk to someone to see what route they want to take. It's very attainable if this is something you want to do.

Who should students talk to, to get involved?
Nick Drake, personal trainer coordinator, and William Jackson, associate director, instruct a personal trainer course for University credit.
This course introduces students to the equipment, training methods and is a gateway for students to see if personal training is something they want to do.

What music do you play to get people pumped to work out?
I definitely like the pop, techno music, but I teach group fitness, so I'm kind of biased.

What group fitness classes do you teach?
TRX, TigerPump, Butts and Guts, Boot Camp and Bosu.

How do you balance school and personal training?
My schedule is timed out. I do have [personal training], graduate school and a part-time job. I've always been an organized person, but I have to write everything down. I use lots of sticky notes.

Is this job worth all the time commitment?
Yes, because it's something that I want to do. I feel like it's helping prepare me to be in an administrative position because this is only a third of what an administrative job does.

What feedback have you gotten from your clients?
I know that one of them says they have a bit more energy. Another one says it's helping her with her balance and stability, and her coordination has improved.

Share and discuss “Day in Life: Personal Trainer” on social media.