War Equal, fashion with a purpose

Margo Kaestner models the Auburn-themed War Equal shirt for Equality Alabama.

Alicia Roden said her procrastination was just the catalyst needed to kick-start the Equality Alabama renaissance.
The graphic designer from Montevallo said she was working on another project when she felt inspired to draft the clever, pro-equality slogans, "War Equal" and "Roll Pride."
The graphics uploaded to Equality Alabama's Facebook page went viral and T-shirt designs were soon in demand.
Timing was ideal for the volunteer-run organization, which had just begun ramping up fundraising.
The organization, based in Birmingham, declared its mission to further the rights of LGBT Alabamians where they live, work and play.
Equality Alabama has seen a huge response to Roden's shirts, with more than 300 pre-ordered in the first 10 days of their availability, earning a total of more than $5,000.
Sales go directly to funding Equality Alabama's town hall meetings, satellite offices, advocacy campaigns, school visits and bully prevention education.
The purpose of the T-shirts, however, is not strictly monetary. The shirts spread a visual message supporting equal rights for LGBT populations in Alabama.
Michael Hansen, communications chair for Equality Alabama said the shirts are "a safe way to show that they support equality and at the same time open a dialogue on their campus."
The navy and orange "War Equal" shirts make an obvious connection between fans of Auburn football and supporters of gay rights, though Hansen and Roden said they were careful not to infringe on any copyright issues with the University.
"I think it's really cool that there's something I can wear that combines two things I'm passionate about," said Anna Lee, Auburn alumna and gay rights supporter.
Hansen said bringing up the issue of gay rights to two of the largest SEC schools has brought anticipated backlash from opponents of the message.
"That's to be expected -- that comes with any news story about anything," Hansen said.
In general, Hansen and Roden said their products have received a gracious reception.
Lee pointed out the generational differences of Auburn students today as a reason for more tolerance.
"I think it could get a pretty good reaction from other students," Lee said. "In the South, you would think people would be more homophobic, but actually young people are more supportive."
Hansen encouraged students to take an active role in spreading the message of Equality Alabama.
"The more young people who can share their story, be involved, be active and show their support, the further the movement will go," Hansen said.
According to Hansen, the movement toward acceptance begins on an individual level.
"Telling your story and being open is probably the most important step in advancing equality in Alabama," Hansen said.
Equality Alabama has committees in major Alabama cities, including an Auburn/Opelika chapter. To get involved, contact Michael Hansen at Info@EqualityAlabama.org.
Shirts are available online for $22 and come in both crew neck and V-neck styles.
To purchase a "War Equal" T-shirt, visit EqualityAlabama.org.

Share and discuss “War Equal, fashion with a purpose” on social media.