Tiger's dynamic rushing attack leaves passing game obsolete

Sammie Coates scoring a touchdown against Florida Atlantic. Coates currently leads the country in yards per catch. (Jenna Burgess/ PHOTOGRAPHER)

Although Auburn has the fewest passing attempts in the SEC, that does not mean quarterbacks Jeremy Johnson and Nick Marshall are incapable of throwing the football.
Against Arkansas Nov. 2, Marshall was 7-of-8 passing with 118 yards and one touchdown, and Johnson only threw the ball once.
Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said Marshall executed the game plan.
"To only attempt nine passes is not normal for anybody," Lashlee said. "It's just kind of weird the way it unfolded. We've got plenty of plays that we can throw the football and make plays other than bubble screens. Each game is different, the way they unfold."
Later in the game when Arkansas was making a comeback, Lashlee said the offense was getting to the point where if it was a tight game, they were going to have to throw the football.
But since the running backs were continuing to have success pounding the ball running through Arkansas' defense, it was not necessary for Auburn to throw the ball, simply because of the way the game played out.
Auburn held a lead throughout the game, so the offense kept calling running plays not only because they were having success, but because they were taking time off the clock and keeping Arkansas' offense off of the field.
Tre Mason had the most success with executing those running plays as he had 32 carries for 168 rushing yards and four touchdowns.
There were concerns leading up to the Arkansas game because of Marshall's throwing shoulder he hurt in the Florida Atlantic game.
However, according to Marshall, his shoulder feels well and was not a problem in last week's game against Arkansas.
"If it came down to it and I had to throw it more, I knew I'd be able to make those throws. But we ran the ball a lot and were able to execute off of that," Marshall said.
Auburn is still first in the SEC in rushing and sixth in the country in rushing yards per game.
But Lashlee is still confident in their passing game and confident in the many receivers who are capable of executing the many passing plays in their high-tempo spread offense.
"I'll make it very clear, we have no problem throwing it," Lashlee said. "We have belief in both our guys and recievers to throw it."
Lashlee also knows how important their passing game will have to be in the final upcoming games.
"We know it's going to happen where we're going to have to win a game throwing the football, like we did with Mississippi State," Lashlee said. "And when that happens I feel confident that our guys will be able to do it."

Share and discuss “Tiger's dynamic rushing attack leaves passing game obsolete” on social media.