Her view: Auburn University needs a 'Come to Jesus' meeting

Everybody has bad days. Everyone has those mornings where your alarm clock goes off and you hit snooze 20 times and then finally drag yourself from bed, to shower, to class in a daze that, for once, probably has nothing to do with a hangover.
It's just how life is. We're all sleep-deprived college students. We all get grumpy sometimes. We all have days where we'd rather pretend humanity doesn't exist and the only world we know is Netflix and drawn curtains. I get it. I do. I'm totally there approximately 97 percent of the time.
That does not, however, give you, me or anyone else permission to be a total ass to other people.
The South is generally a pretty friendly place overall, and from my experience, Auburn tends to be really good about exemplifying that Southern Hospitality. But it's week two and I've already found myself angry and without a lot of residual hope for humanity due to some of the interactions I've seen on this campus.
Don't be rude to the men and women who drive the Tiger Transit. Don't talk down to the people working in campus dining; they're all working and just doing their jobs. Hell, don't talk down to anybody. The moment you think you're better than someone else is the moment you're decidedly the opposite. That's the moment you lose my respect.
You're here in college presumably to, like me, get an education that will help you try to make your dreams into a reality. Do you really think someone dreamed up standing behind the counter of a Starbucks counter all day? I mean, maybe, and if so I'm not dissing that, but seriously--just think about people. Take two seconds to consider someone's life other than your own.
You don't know what everyone else has been going through. There's literally (not figuratively, just so we clear up that little discrepancy right off the bat) no reason to be rude to anyone, even if they were rude to you first. It's wholly unnecessary and childish.
Auburn, we're all tired. We've all got things outside of school and work to deal with. We could probably all use more sleep. But we can all definitely put forth a little more effort to be kind to everyone we meet.

Share and discuss “Her view: Auburn University needs a 'Come to Jesus' meeting” on social media.