Supper Club going strong for 77 years

For years, Auburn students have gotten off Exit 51 and driven through town. They pass the familiar restaurants and local places, but one sticks out to current and past students: the War Eagle Supper Club.
Supper Club has been around as far back as anyone in Auburn can remember, 77 years to be exact. The club has seen members come and go, been through seven decades of fashion and style and undergone renovations, yet the building still stands and is going strong.
One of the well-known facts about Supper Club is the strict 21-and-over policy. But now, owner John Brandt has confirmed a little secret: the club will allow underage guests to attend, with a member and a valid ID. This will begin in the next few weeks.
Brandt started working at Supper Club in 1980 when he was a student at Auburn.
He worked the door, then five years later he bought into the family that owned the club.
When the club first opened, it was an place for Auburn residents to join and eat. It then became the first place in Auburn to offer pizza, known then as Supper Club's famous pizza. The club offered pizza until the late '80s.
Supper Club started to undergo renovations when Brandt came along.
"The building wasn't as big as it was now so we added on and added what is now called, 'The Pit,'" Brandt said. "We also added a stage around 1985."
The legal drinking age in Alabama at the time was 19, which changed in 1985 to 21. That is the only time anyone under the age of 21 was allowed in, until now.
"We are a private club and always have been," Brandt said. "No consumption of alcohol was allowed except in private clubs and only on Sunday. We would be the only place in the state that people could come in and have a beer on a Sunday."
Supper Club also had to adhere to mandated segregation laws in the '50s.
Supper Club has always prided itself in bringing in national acts to come perform, three or four per year.
They have always had a saying about the acts that come in: "We see them on the way up and on the way back down."
Headliners such as Luke Bryan, Widespread Panic and Kenny Chesney have performed on Supper Club's stage.
Brandt has even seen his favorite band perform.
"Little Feat was my all time favorite," Brandt said. "They performed in 2003 and I was like a kid on Christmas morning to see my favorite band play on stage."
Rachael Black attended Auburn and frequented the club during her time in school.
"In 1986, Supper Club was the place to go, especially to hear good bands and guys would play pool," Black said. "You always ended your night at Supper Club, even though it was on the outskirts of Auburn."
To enter Supper Club, a $2 membership card must be purchased. Only a member can bring a guest under the age of 21.
Supper Club also offers a shuttle service that runs from 10 p.m. until the club closes at 5 a.m.
"It doesn't matter what kind of band is playing, you're guaranteed to leave being super happy that you went," Amanda Enloe, senior in profession writing, said. "It's some of the best entertainment and people watching in Auburn."

Share and discuss “Supper Club going strong for 77 years” on social media.