Auburn's Young Women's Leadership Program mentors middle school girls

Female students on Auburn's campus are given the opportunity to help guide middle school girls into becoming young women every day.
The Auburn University's Women's Resource Center developed a research-based mentoring program called the Young Women's Leadership Program in 2010.
Each woman involved in the program is paired with one middle school girl from either Auburn Junior High School or Loachapoka High School.
"Big sisters" are required to meet with their "little sister" at least once week for a minimum of one hour.
However, many times, students like Megan Skipper, sophomore in human development and family studies, visit with their littles above the required meeting hours.
"I'll meet with her twice a week, maybe about two hours each time, and that is in addition to the time we spend together at the junior high school, with the other big and littles in the program," Skipper said.
During their time together, many big and little sisters enjoy doing things such as walk around Auburn's campus, get ice cream and shop for clothes.
Through these activities, mentors are given the chance to get to know their mentees and are able to help with the everyday challenges these young girls face with family, friends, relationships, peer pressure and more.
Ashley Edwards, junior in social work, has been involved in the Young Women's Leadership Program for two years.
"The things that we teach them are things that I never knew," Edwards said. "So, I learn a lot from the curriculum, as well, like how to solve conflicts and how to deal with messy relationships. It's so applicable to our lives, even being so far removed from middle school."
Along with one-on-one mentoring, there are group-based activities, as well.
Every year, the program funds an all-day ropes course where college students and middle school students overcome the course by working together and building each other's confidence.
While the program benefits middle school girls by helping their transition into becoming a young woman, it is also a great opportunity for Auburn's college students to grow.
"I have been involved with this a whole semester now and I've already seen a few changes in myself, in my leadership abilities and how I talk to people," Skipper said. "Also, the friendships that you make are just incredible and long lasting."
According to Edwards, the program is beneficial to the community as a whole because it provides outreach to at risk adolescents, virtually at no cost.
"Another thing you wouldn't expect to gain by being involved in this program is an awesome support group of people who attend auburn too," Skipper said. "I've made awesome friends who are so supportive. I've met some of my best friends through this program. It's definitely a great thing to be involved in."
When other female students, who are not currently involved in the program, were asked if they could see themselves being a part of the program, the responses were positive.
"I think the program would be beneficial, but only if the middle school girls want a mentor," said Mary Cameron Faison, sophomore in elementary education. "Older girls can offer a lot of knowledge to younger girls if they are willing to listen."
Many of the college students already involved in the program hope to continue
mentoring young girls in the future.
The Young Women's Leadership Program also allows graduate assistants to engage in the program.
"Depending on where I end up at grad school, I would love to still be an instrumental part of this program," Skipper said. "If that were in the plans and worked out for me, I would love to continue my involvement with the program."

Share and discuss “Auburn's Young Women's Leadership Program mentors middle school girls” on social media.