East Alabama chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation sets new goal for the decade

For the majority of Auburn residents, hunting is life.
The East Alabama chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation has made it it's mission to extend and preserve the life of this popular southern pastime.
The NWTF of East Alabama, exclusively comprised of volunteers, works toward the conservation of the environment and educating the youth.
It believes in the importance of gun safety and aims to give children a chance to learn how to hunt in a safe manner.
"We're trying to promote family time, the good,old-fashion way, with hunting and conservation," said Grant Fountain, member of the NWTF of East Alabama. "We teach kids how to hunt right and to preserve and respect the land and animals around them."
While the Federation mainly focuses on the preservation of turkey hunting, it also raises money to help with other types of hunting in Alabama.
Throughout the next 10 years, the NWTF of East Alabama has a new goal: Save the Habitat, Save the Hunt. A portion of money raised will support this new statement.
The federation was founded in 1973 and then the number of wild turkeys had risen from 1.5 million to 7 million.
Today, populations have begun to decline, and that inspired the goal to save the habitat and the hunt.
Tyler Briggs, regional director for this chapter of the NWTF, helps put together approximately 31 different banquets annually. These events double as a good time and a fundraiser.
"In the spring before turkey season starts, we put on the banquets for different regions," Briggs said. "These are opportunities to gain new members and raise some money for our cause."
The money raised at each banquet is sent back to NWTF headquarters, where 20 percent of all revenue goes back into the state chapter's "superfund." A group of members then have the ability to decide where the money goes and what region needs the extra money.
The NWTF of East Alabama's annual banquet will be held at the Opelika Event Center Downtown on Saturday, Feb. 28.
"We hosted last year's banquet as well," said Lisa Ditchkoff, owner of the Opelika Event Center. "Last year, a ton of people showed up, about 550. I know they will be expecting the same or even more."
The banquets include live, local entertainment, while businesses in and around Auburn donate items to be sold in multiple auctions and raffles as part of the event.
"We recognize our sponsors since they contribute so much to us," Fountain said. "Most of them do it simply to just help us and help out in the cause since there are so many hunters and fishers in the community."
Tickets cost $50 for a single ticket and $75 for a couple. Each ticket includes a meal, a raffle ticket and membership to the NWTF.
Every child under the age of 16 who attends will receive free membership to the NWTF of East Alabama as well.
Existing members are only charged for the meal that night, and corporate tables are available for reservation.
"The East Alabama banquet is one of the biggest in the state," Briggs said. "They have about 275 sponsorships, and it is a huge fundraising opportunity for them."

Share and discuss “East Alabama chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation sets new goal for the decade” on social media.