Spectrum's annual "What-A-Drag!" drag show charity event

Performers such as Femma Nazi, pictured above, will be featured in Spectrum's What-a-Drag! show on Saturday, Feb. 22 (Contributed by Ellen Dowdell)

What-A-Drag!, Spectrum's annual drag show charity event, will be held on Saturday, Feb. 22, in the Student Center Ballroom from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. What-A-Drag! is open to the public for a $5 admission fee, which supports LGBT organizations and Auburn's Gay-Straight Alliance.
According to Darcy Corbitt, senior in psychology and Spectrum's director of social affairs, proceeds from What-A-Drag! will be donated to either The Trevor Project, Equality Alabama or The Transgender Law Center.
In a new competition-style performance, the winning charity will be chosen by the drag king or queen who receives the largest amount of tips throughout the performance. Audience members are encouraged to bring $1 tips for performers representing each of the charities.
"A drag show is a sort of symbol for the LGBT community, and it normalizes the trouble people could have with gendered performance by making it ridiculous--by making it extreme," said Ellen Dowdell, senior in sociology and English Literature and director of event planning for What-A-Drag! and Spectrum. "There's like an energy that comes from being together and being free to stand out."
The event is comprised of both amateur and professional drag performances and will be emceed by Daisy Pukes and Femma Nazi.
What-A-Drag! is Spectrum's major outreach event for the academic year, with members of both the University and local community in attendance.
Hayden Harris, senior in business management and assistant director of social affairs for Spectrum, said last year's What-A-Drag! event raised more than $1,000 for charity.
"For the most part, response has always been positive to What-A-Drag! People seem to enjoy it whenever they go," Harris said.
Harris said the event promised to be a lively one that appealed to a wide audience, whether they are active in Spectrum or not.
Dowdell pointed out that while Spectrum has roughly 100 members, What-A-Drag! has recorded close to 300 spectators in recent years.
"People who have never been keep comparing it to a fashion show, but it's not like that," Dowdell said, "It's more like a concert. Everybody's close and gathered in and excited about what's going on onstage. There's no sitting back, it's all forward motion, forward interaction with the performer."
Spectrum representatives and drag performers will present the charities they've chosen to support and share the Gay-Straight Alliance's message.
While the show ultimately spreads a deeper message about equality, What-A-Drag! steers away from too much gravity.
"In some ways it's a more positive, freeing, optimistic event because it's celebrating," Dowdell said. "It's exuberant. It's loud and unapologetic."
Auburn's Spectrum has teamed up again with Spectrum Troy, who will be sending performers and working behind the scenes.
"Members of other Gay-Straight Alliances state-wide have also been invited to contribute to this event, and Spectrum Troy has been very instrumental in this event's success in the past," Corbitt said.
For those who have never attended a drag performance, Dowdell explained that there is a difference between performing in drag and being a transgendered individual.
"It is important to note that drag is a performance, it is a gendered performance," Dowdell said. "People do it once a year. If they do it professionally they may do it several times a year, but it is different from being a transgendered individual, so no one should assume anything about gender based on what they see."

Share and discuss “Spectrum's annual "What-A-Drag!" drag show charity event” on social media.