Defensive line reloads in hopes of a return trip to Atlanta

Defensive tackle Ben Bradley (left) blocks fellow lineman Jeffrey Whitaker on Auburn's first day of spring camp. (Contributed by Lauren Barnard)

While replacing potential first-round draft pick Dee Ford will be a tough task to handle for defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson and defensive line coach Rodney Garner, the Tigers have solid depth all across the defensive line for their upcoming season on the Plains.
The defensive tackle position returns senior veterans Gabe Wright, Angelo Blackson and Jeff Whitaker, who received a medical redshirt last season.
Whitaker's return to the squad after recovering from a torn right meniscus means a lot to the team, both mentally and physically.
While Whitaker wasn't able to help the Tigers last year after his injury on the field, he took it upon himself to ensure that his presence was felt on the sideline and in the locker room.
"(Whitaker) is in the mix, practicing with us every day," Blackson said. "Jeff is a great leader. He's one of those guys we can go to about anything. We look up to him."
As Auburn looks to turn their defensive lines into one of the most ferocious front fours in football, coaches say it will take leadership from veterans such as Jeff Whitaker to help guide newcomers and help keep the unit cohesive.
"He has a lot of wisdom for his age," Malzahn said. "Coaches have a lot of confidence in him, as well as his teammates."
After an impressive 20-tackle freshman season, Montravious Adams will also look to find a spot on the starting roster against the two incoming defensive tackle signees, four-star Dontavious Russell and three-star Devaroe Lawrence.
Auburn is also set at defensive end, returning sophomore sensations Carl Lawson and Elijah Daniel.
"As a defensive unit, we are so athletic," Lawson said. "Everyone on D-end and D-tackle can go back and forth between two positions."
The two sophomores will join returning starter LaDarious Owens, a junior who will miss all of 2014's spring practice with a foot injury.
Auburn signed four defensive ends in its highly touted 2014 class, including JUCO transfer Davonte Lambert.
Lambert, a 6-foot-3, 275-pound rusher, will look to make an immediate impact with the Tigers after accumulating 36 tackles, eight sacks and four forced fumbles last season at Georgia Military College.
The other defensive end commitments are four-star recruit Andrew Williams out of Eagle's Landing Christian in McDonough, Ga., four-star recruit Justin Thornton out of Vigor High School in Prichard and three-star Raashed Kennion out of First Coast High School in Jacksonville, Fla.
The Tigers will look to utilize their size and depth as they endure the brutal SEC regular season and try to make it back to the national title game.
Due to the experience and depth of the line, the Tigers will also look at potentially playing four defensive tackles to try and give the Tigers defensive front a new and larger look.
Wright calls it the "Rhino Package," and Auburn tight end C.J. Uzomah thinks the unique look could work for the Tigers' defense.
"That is something completely different than blocking against a guy like Dee (Ford), who is extremely quick and fast," Uzomah said. "Blocking against someone like Gabe (Wright) and Montravius (Adams), they are hosses."

Share and discuss “Defensive line reloads in hopes of a return trip to Atlanta” on social media.