Local musician and guitar teacher at Spicer's Music creates contemporary folk music

Potts currently gives lessons at Spicer's Music in Auburn

From the Rocky Mountains to the Plains, folk music finds fans.
Musician Dave Potts hails from Colorado, but, for the last decade and a half, he has called Auburn home.
"When I started touring, I'd never been anywhere in the South," Potts said. "The next time I was touring, I booked a longer tour around the Southeast."
During his second trip down South, Potts played a show in Auburn and immediately fell in love.
"Being a touring musician, I can live anywhere," Potts said. "For about two years, for all the tours I booked, I would go out of my way to be in the Southeast for a while. I thought for a long time about moving somewhere out east since everything is closer and it's easier to travel."
In 1998, Potts finally made Auburn his permanent home.
Potts' music, which he describes as "contemporary folk," is an acoustic driven style that combines his warm, David Wilcox-esque voice.
"I say it's folk-country," Potts said. "People don't know what it means. They don't know what to expect. It's country without the twang and fiddles."
Potts cited John Denver as a major influence on his work.
"Growing up in Colorado, he was a big deal," Potts said. "The first 20 songs I learned were John Denver songs."
Potts' mother used to take him to see Denver play at Red Rocks in Colorado every summer.
"When I started writing, I started seeking out unknown folk singer-songwriters," Potts said.
Other influences on his work include James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg.
Potts began playing music when he was in kindergarten.
After some time playing the ukulele, Potts decided he wanted to learn how to play a more sophisticated instrument.
"I took guitar lessons from first grade all through my freshman year of college," Potts said.
Potts currently gives lessons at Spicer's Music in Auburn.
Tim Spicer, co-founder of Spicer's Music, hired Potts in the summer of 2013.
"He's a musical genius," Spicer said. "He's a musical giant in our area."
Potts' lessons range from basic guitar to teaching musicianship and stage presences, something Spicer said Potts is a "master" at.
Tim Spicer's father, Tom Spicer, co-founded the shop with his family.
Potts approached them with the idea of teaching after playing a small show at the shop.
Tom Spicer said it was his son's idea to hire Potts.
Tom Spicer said their goal was to teach people of all ages, and that they wanted to have accomplished musicians working with them.
Potts will work with musicians to help them finish songs so they can turn their work into a recording.
Potts has been recording his work since 1992, first on cassette tape and eventually moving to CD.
"I did my first couple CDs on my own," Potts said. "You can tell if you listen to them. There's one where, if I pointed it out to you, you can hear cars driving by."
Potts' songwriting output has decreased over the years, from 50 to 100 songs per year to around one per month.
"It's definitely slowed down, but I'm definitely more picky about what I write too," Potts said.
Potts has no current plans to record a new album.
"I will probably record another full album eventually," Potts said. "But it will likely be a few more years."
Since moving to Auburn, Potts' touring has slowly decreased.
In 15 years, he played approximately 2,250 shows.
"Honestly, I just got tired," Potts said. "I didn't stop touring. I just cut it back."
During the peak of his travels, he was traveling around 50,000 miles per year.
Potts has two children, ages 11 and 12, whom he wanted to spend more time with.
Potts has played in 42 states around the nation, mostly east of the Rocky Mountains.
When not playing or teaching, Potts focuses on his other job.
"Most people don't believe me when I tell them my real job is a fantasy baseball player," Potts said.
Potts said he believes music and math are related, and baseball is certainly full of statistics.
"I'm pretty much always doing something either musically or with baseball stats," Potts said.

Share and discuss “Local musician and guitar teacher at Spicer's Music creates contemporary folk music” on social media.