The stories of the seal and the lathe

One of Auburn's oldest myths is centered on the seal in front of Langdon Hall (Emily Enfinger | Assistant Photo Editor)

One step on top of Auburn's seal, located in front of Langdon Hall, could leave you cursed forever.
According to Lisa McManus, sophomore in pre-communications disorders and vice president of Student Recruiters, the Auburn seal is one of the many myths and legends that have been told for years.
"If you step on the seal, there are three things that can happen to you," McManus said. "You won't graduate in four years...you won't find your soulmate at Auburn...and you will have seven generations of Alabama fans in your family."
McManus claims she has seen people step on the seal during her campus tours, even one of her friends accidentally has.
"One of my friends did step on it, and she's not married, and she's not graduating in four years," McManus said.
Taylor Akers, junior in communication, is one of the many student recruiters who tell such myths to visitors.
Akers questioned how the myths even came about.
"I don't think there's a pinpoint time in which the stories evolved or started," Akers said. "It's all kind of snowballed, especially with things like the story of War Eagle. There are so many different stories out there."
Whether or not the stories are true, students and visitors continue to delight in their tales.
The lathe is another popular legend that dates back to the Civil War.
It was originally used to manufacture cannons, but now resides as a war relic.
"The legend behind the lathe is that if an Auburn man is dating an Auburn women, and if he wants to see if she is a true woman he will bring her to the lathe at midnight, and he'll kiss her," Akers explained. "If the wheel of the lathe doesn't move then she is honest, fabulous and beautiful. The wheel never moves, ergo all Auburn women are wonderful, honest and beautiful."
Myths such as these show how deep-rooted Auburn University is in tradition, according to McManus.
"We have our game day traditions and all these great stories that you can tell," McManus said. "I think that's what really separates us apart from other universities. We have these binding stories and binding traditions that keep us together even though we are such a large university."

Share and discuss “The stories of the seal and the lathe” on social media.