Council approves rezoning for properties on Opelika Road

The Auburn City Council approved the rezoning of properties along Opelika Road at their meeting Tuesday evening.
One five-acre parcel was removed from the rezoning during the ordinances section of the meeting.
The parcel does not have frontage on Opelika Road, but is behind the former Chili's, soon to be Mugshots.
The property continues all the way back to Gateway Drive.
"Where this parcel is at, it might be more appropriate for residential use than commercial use," said Forrest Cotten, director of the Auburn Planning Department.
The parcel was kept zoned as a Comprehensive Development District (CDD) instead of being made a Corridor Redevelopment District - Suburban (CRD-S), which will make it more expedient to get certain residential uses approved there, according to Cotten.
All other properties on that road were rezoned CRD-S and Corridor Redevelopment District - Urban.
During the citizen's communication portion of the meeting, Rhonwyn Pugh approached the council about de-annexing 1.49 acres of land out of the city of Auburn and into Lee County.
Pugh has moved a modular home onto the property and is unable to have power run to the home because the modular home does not meet city guidelines.
Pugh asked that the property be de-annexed so that she can "move on with (her) life" and have power run to her modular home.
Pugh originally had the land annexed into the city so that members of her family could attend school in Auburn.
Council members were hesitant to approve the de-annexation for fear of setting a precedent allowing property owners to annex into the city.
They would do so fo their children to be able to attend school in Auburn and then leaving the city once the school's services were no longer needed.
The council was not able to reach a decision on the de-annexation.

Share and discuss “Council approves rezoning for properties on Opelika Road” on social media.