SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Fans flock to Hoover for unofficial start of football season

Left to right: Dickie Pearson, Jim McDaed and Adam Kelley wait with other Auburn fans in the lobby of the Wynfrey Hotel at SEC Media Days.
(Raye May | Photo & Design Editor)
Left to right: Dickie Pearson, Jim McDaed and Adam Kelley wait with other Auburn fans in the lobby of the Wynfrey Hotel at SEC Media Days. (Raye May | Photo & Design Editor)

Dozens of fans crowded the lobby of the Wynfrey Hotel at SEC Media Days on Monday, and most of them belonged to Auburn.
Several said that attending the annual press event to support the Auburn football team was an act of tradition.
"I just do it every year," said Adam Kelley of Tuscaloosa. "I come to see the coaches and players and a lot of the media personalities."
Kelley said he arrived at the hotel on Monday at 10:30 a.m.
"I got off work at 7 this morning, and I haven't been to bed yet," Kelley said. "I drove from Tuscaloosa this morning."
Kyle Bradberry, a 2010 alumnus and Birmingham native, also cited tradition as his reason for attending SEC Media Days.
"I came last year, and there weren't many Auburn people here," Bradberry said. "It was fun to just see Coach Malzahn and see the players. I thought, 'if I have some free time, I'll come again next year,' and it's funny to see that there's way more people and way more media coverage."
Jim McDaed of Vestavia Hills also echoed the sentiment of tradition, and said Auburn fans gather no matter the reason.
"This is the Auburn Family," McDaed said. "We come together for all occasions. Happy, sad, or today, where we might get a little information about this season."
The fans also spent time reminiscing on Auburn games and players past, saying that it was good to be in the company of other Auburn people.
McDaed said that while the trip to California for January's BCS National Championship Game was fantastic, he really wanted the victory, and hopes that this year's team will go back and finish the job.
"This team needs to have a theme of 'let's finish this thing," McDaed said.
Another common topic among fans was quarterback Nick Marshall and Gus Malzahn's decision to pull him from appearing at Media Days.
"Most importantly to me, he was not driving under the influence," McDaed said. "Thirty years ago, you'd be thrown off the team, lose your scholarship...but I think Coach Malzahn will definitely apply the right level of discipline to this situation."
Bradberry said he is confident in Malzahn's ability to get Marshall back into good standing.
"Malzahn will get him right," Bradberry said. "I think (Marshall) will continue to lead our team. I'm still confident in that, even though I'm disappointed."
In addition to tradition, being with other Auburn fans and learning about the next season, fans also said they came to see the sights of Media Days.
Auburn fan Dickie Pearson pointed out radio host Paul Finebaum, calling him "one of the most hated men in the state of Alabama."
"A couple of years ago I was up here and he walked right by me and stuck out his hand," Pearson said. "Before I could think I shook his hand, and I immediately went to the restroom and washed my hands."
Media Days is not only a chance to enjoy the company of other fans, McDaed said, but also an opportunity to poke fun at rival fans.
"I noticed the man wearing a national championship ring as a hat is almost as short as Nick Saban," McDaed said. "This is a chance to be with Auburn people, and we get to look at and laugh at Alabama fans that come in here looking ridiculous."

Read more:

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Offensive stars, coaches promise more balance in 2014

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Two years after arrest, senior center Dismukes a "team leader"

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Nick Marshall to face "consequences" following marijuana citation

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Jaylon Denson and Justin Garrett granted extra year of eligibility

SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Defensive end Lawson recovering from summer ACL surgery

Share and discuss “SEC MEDIA DAYS 2014: Fans flock to Hoover for unofficial start of football season” on social media.