World Cup watch parties a boost to local restaurants

Brazil fans gather in Moe's Original Bar B Que for a match against Mexico. (Photo by Raye May | Photo & Design Editor)

There's no arguing that while the U.S. Men's National Team was eliminated, interest in soccer in the United States has been growing since the beginning of the World Cup, with American flags flying on street corners and residences, people walking around with American jerseys on and the huge crowds showing up to watch Team U.S.A. play.
The growing interest has been helpful for local businesses across America, including those located in downtown Auburn. On game days, bars and eateries near Toomer's Corner were packed to the brim with American supporters.
Bars like Skybar and Quixotes opened earlier than usual for the games, with nearly every establishment offering food and drink specials to entice fans to watch the game at their place of business.
Many places like Skybar, which had a lack of seating area for the game, set up chairs and even offered free pizza during the Germany game.
Halftime Sports Bar hosted the local unofficial chapter of the American Outlaws, the U.S. Team's main fan group.
During games, Halftime was an Auburn game day-like scene.
Elizabeth Scott, a senior in psychology and human development studies is a server at Halftime, and said that while the later games drew larger crowds, Halftime was always full.
"You have that huge rush of people swarming in all at once with people jumping up and down and sitting in the floor," said Scott.
While the crowds can bring stress to the workers, Scott attributed having worked during football season to helping the workers maintain order.
"The fans have been great," said Scott. "They've been loud and we want them to be loud and energetic."
A little ways down College Street, Moe's Original Bar B Cue also saw a large influx of business during the games. When asked how full Moe's was during the games, bartender Cate Babin immediately responded, "It was packed inside and out."
Babin said that Moe's hung American flags and banners along with including the game on all of the televisions and turning up the sound.
Next door at Little Italy, Corey Maygille was also pleased with the turnout.
"The restaurant got full at 2:30 and it didn't stop until well after the game," said Maygille. "A lot of people stayed, some folks stopped in and went somewhere else."
While the Americans weren't able to quite get it done in Brazil, the World Cup has provided economic benefits to many local businesses.
As Maygille said, "Everyone was chanting 'USA! USA! It was a good day."

Share and discuss “World Cup watch parties a boost to local restaurants” on social media.