Color Me Auburn 5K paints campus orange and blue

(Contributed by the Auburn Student Alumni Association)

Auburn runners will have the chance to be dyed orange and blue during the Color Me Auburn 5K on Saturday, Aug. 23.
The fun run, hosted by the Auburn University Student Alumni Association (SAA), will begin at Jordan-Hare Stadium and go through the Village, War Eagle Way toward Thach Concourse, Mell Street toward the Arboretum and turn back on Duncan Drive to end back at the stadium.
According to Jennifer Gibson, graduate assistant at the Office of Alumni Affairs and organizer of this year's run, racers may "run, walk or frolic" throughout the race.
"Last year we had moms with strollers and kids," Gibson said. "If you want to run it, we're going to put you toward the front so you aren't going to ruin the day of people who want to walk it. If you know you want to walk it, we're going to put you toward the back so you can enjoy your time. We're trying to make it fun for everyone."
For people who still want to be involved, several volunteers are needed for every stage of the race.
"There are so many small committees that work on every single part of the run," Gibson said. "Sometimes that's just one person and a few volunteers, and sometimes it's 40 people [for each committee]."
Earth Fare will be catering the hospitality tent at the end of the run, supplying drinks, fruit and granola to racers.
There will also be a vendor mall on the Green Space near the Student Center. Sponsors will have booths with giveaways and sweepstakes, including Auburn University's Student Government Association, SAA, Mountain High Outfitters and Palm Beach Tan.
Entry fees benefit SAA's scholarship endowment and their annual scholarship fund. Last year was the first Color Me Auburn 5K. According to Dori Weldon, membership coordinator for the Office of Alumni Affairs and last year's run organizer, it was a success.
"We honestly didn't know what to expect when we were going into it," Weldon said. "We were just hoping for a couple hundred [participants]. We had close to 600 people do the run last year, so word of mouth really spread quickly."
The run generated more than $8,000 for SAA scholarships.
"It was really rewarding and really interesting to work for something that directly benefited students," Weldon said. "None of the money goes back into our operational fund. It goes straight to scholarships."
This year, SAA is planning for at least 600 participants.
SAA teamed up with Auburn Waste Management and Recycling to do a zero-waste run. Inspiration for the earth-friendly plans came from Auburn University's Green Game last season.
"With the run, you do have waste, but it's not a lot," Gibson said. "It's water bottles, it's cups, it's food and that's about it. Why don't we try and do it for the run [and] add that extra bit of fun to it?"
All cups and bottles used for water or color will be recycled. Compost bins for uneaten food and recycling bins will be provided at every color station, along with trash cans.
"If anyone is coming to the run and bringing their own stuff, make sure it's recyclable or compostable," Gibson said. "And then, of course, we'll have a trash can in case there is something not recyclable or compostable."
A volunteer session will be held Thursday night in the Alumni Center for individuals interested in volunteering.
"Even if they haven't signed up, they can come and we will use them in some way," Gibson said. "If you sign up, you're guaranteed to do something more fun."
Gibson said the powder is completely safe if ingested.
"It's food coloring and corn starch," Gibson said. "There are so many runs that use that exact product, so it's very safe."

Share and discuss “Color Me Auburn 5K paints campus orange and blue” on social media.