Students share their favorite steals and deals

(Charlotte Kelly l Graphics Editor)
(Charlotte Kelly l Graphics Editor)

There are plenty of good deals in Auburn -- if you know where to look.
The first place to find a bargain is in the grocery store, according to Stephen Milton, senior in chemical engineering.
"If you're lucky enough, you can usually get cheap gallons of milk from Kroger on Sunday on Manager's Special, since they're close to expiring," Milton said. "By expiring, I mean that they still have a week before the [sell by] date, so if you drink as much milk as me, it's a good deal."
Other items on Manager's Special at Kroger include produce, cheese, bakery items and packaged goods.
"They sometimes stick perfectly good products with damaged packaging [there] that are still fine," Milton said.
Erin Conway, junior in chemical engineering, spends a lot of time on campus and tries to make her meal plan stretch as far as possible.
One of her go-to meals is the macaroni and cheese at Go Greek, which costs 84 cents. Other good deals on campus include 50 cent pancakes at AU Smokehouse in Foy Dining Hall.
Richard Polke, senior in psychology, uses coupons that come in the mail to make his meals cheaper. For deals on clothing and shoes, Belk offers a 10 percent discount on certain brands if the shopper uses a Belk credit or debit card.
"It's not always the case, but for most it is," Polke said. "[For] Polo brand, the 10 percent only works on their clearance items, not the new items that just came off the truck."
Online is another place to look for deals on clothes.
"Haute Look, Jacks Threads [and] Frank and Oak have great things for boys, and Rue La La [and] Fab.com have great things for girls," Polke said. "All of those are online stores. And, Touch of Modern has great things for anybody. All of those sites sell things at discount prices."
For those who would rather spend their time outdoors, the Chewacla State Park annual pass is a good investment.
"My friend, Becca, went so much she got her money's worth and then some," Milton said.
For an individual, the pass is $60. Regular entrance costs $2 per adult on weekdays and $3 per adult on weekends.
Milton summed up his preferred way to find the best deal.
"The best way to save money is to only buy what's important to you," Milton said.

Share and discuss “Students share their favorite steals and deals” on social media.