Activist group announces strike for Opelika fast-food restaurants then moves demonstration to Atlanta (updated)

(Raye May | Photo Editor)
(Raye May | Photo Editor)

An activist group announced on Tuesday, Sept. 2, a strike of fast-food workers would be held on Thursday, Sept. 4, in Opelika's Tigertown shopping center.
On Thursday morning the same group, named 'Low pay is not OK', announced workers from Opelika would instead protest with other workers in Atlanta.
'Low pay is not OK' advocates that the minimum wage should be raised to $15 an hour, according to its website.
Maurice Ashmore worked at the Burger King in Opelika was in Atlanta on Sept. 4 for the protest.
"We were in Atlanta striking for better working conditions and higher pay," Ashmore said.
Civil disobendce was the tactic used for the protest, according to Ashmore.
"We're willing to do whatever it takes to be heard,"Ashmore said. "Several people were arrested."
Ten workers were arrested during the protest, according to Atlanta television station WXIA.
Joel Solow, an organizer with Raise Up for 15, another group advocating for higher pay, helped workers travel to Atlanta for the protest.
Six workers from Opelika attended the protest, according to Ashmore.
"Right now, what we want is $15 an hour and to be in a union," Ashmore said. "We will continue striking until we get that."
No protest took place at the Tigertown McDonald and it was operated normally.
Workers at the McDonald's refused to comment. All questions were directed to McDonald's press office.
The McDonald's press office has not gotten back in touch with The Plainsman, but in a statement to USAToday they said, "We believe that any minimum wage increase should be implemented over time so that the impact on owners and small and medium-sized businesses -- like the ones who own and operate the majority of our restaurants -- is manageable."

Share and discuss “Activist group announces strike for Opelika fast-food restaurants then moves demonstration to Atlanta (updated)” on social media.