OPINION: SEC Network impact extends beyond cable

On the Friday before Auburn's home opener against Arkansas, students lined up in droves outside the Student Center to catch a glimpse of a former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback.
Cam Newton? No, he's too busy getting ready for the NFL season with the Carolina Panthers. Enter Tim Tebow, who was in town as an analyst for the newly created SEC Network's traveling pregame show SEC Nation.
Rounded out by play-by-play announcer, Joe Tessitore; former star LSU defensive lineman, Marcus Spears; and talk show host Paul Finebaum, SEC Nation's crew caused quite the stir by being on Auburn's campus for the game.
For me, their presence reinforced my beliefs on the exciting opportunities the network presents for students, student athletes and fans of the SEC.
While many Auburn fans will be thrilled with the greater coverage of popular sports, such as football, basketball and baseball, I am more intrigued by the exposure the lesser-viewed sports in the SEC will receive.
The SEC is comprised of 21 sports (nine men's and 12 women's NCAA sanctioned sports) and yet many of them never get the chance to be seen by fans because they are never on TV. The creation of this new network gives fans the chance to see lesser known sports, such as equestrian or indoor track and field, from the comfort of their own homes.
What the SEC Network's involvement with Auburn excites me the most is the opportunity it brings to students like me.
This fall, the SEC Network teamed up with Auburn to create War Eagle Productions to produce live sporting events and coaching shows, while also developing footage for Auburn's athletic website.
A studio is in the process of being completed at the telecommunications building next toOn the Friday before Auburn's home opener against Arkansas, students lined up in droves outside the Student Center to catch a glimpse of a former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback.
A studio is in the process of being completed at the telecommunications building next to the Auburn Athletics Complex. This building is also home to a new class on sports production that has students working with the SEC Network on a part-time basis.
As a student currently enrolled in the class, and an aspiring sports journalist, I can tell you that this class is an amazing opportunity to get a feel for all aspects of sports production, including filming, editing and broadcasting.
The SEC Network is something that will change the scope of sports in Auburn and the SEC for years to come. While many students will be excited with the increased appearances of famous people on campus, such as Tim Tebow, they should be even more excited about the bundle of opportunities the SEC Network provides for them. the Auburn Athletics Complex. This building is also home to a new class on sports production that has students working with the SEC Network on a part-time basis.
The SEC Network is something that will change the scope of sports in Auburn and the SEC for years to come. While many students will be excited with the increased appearances of famous people on campus, such as Tim Tebow, they should be even more excited about the bundle of opportunities the SEC Network provides for them.

Share and discuss “OPINION: SEC Network impact extends beyond cable” on social media.