Student Think Tank brings local issues to forefront

Michelle Roberts, senior in anthropology, speaks about local issues at the Student Think Tank.

Students are coming together to voice their concerns about public issues in the Auburn-Opelika community and are taking action to bring positive change.
According to their website, the Tigers' Den, "seeks to promote and develop a more thoughtful and engaged student body, one that is mindful of current events and prepared to offer solutions to the issues of our time."
David Earnhardt, president of Tigers' Den, said the focus of the organization is to bring positive change to communities.
"It is a student think tank," Earnhardt said. "The idea behind it is to look into problems in the area and figuring out way to make an impact for the better."
The organization holds Student Think Tank, an event where students are encouraged to get involved in debates on public issues at the University, local and national levels.
"Whether students are looking to beef up their resume or looking to make a real difference in the community, I encourage them to join," Earnhardt said.
The lack of parking has some citizens frustrated and is an issue discussed.
"The lack of parking downtown, especially on game weekends, is miserable," said Ashley Adams, Auburn citizen who works downtown.
Members of the Tigers' Den are actively involved in research to see how they can help change the issues.
Campus activities and outreach opportunities are also available.
"It is a unique opportunity to volunteer and get involved," Earnhardt said.
The organization has taken to social media to get the word out about their efforts, starting the #WhatMattersToAU hashtag.
Using the hashtag, students and citizens of the area can tweet out their concerns and reach the Tigers' Den straight from their phone.
"We launched the What Matters to AU campaign to try and find the issues that matter in the community," Earnhardt said. "It is unique because we get some specific ideas from our members."
Citizens of Auburn, such as Adams, have taken notice of the organization's efforts.
"It is great to see students care about not only what happens at the University, but in the community as well," Adams said.
The next Student Think Tank is temporarily scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 25.
The organization is free to join and has no annual fee.
"We are just trying to find the issues that matter to our fellow citizens," Earnhardt said. "It is a great opportunity for students to get involved."
The organization can be followed on Twitter @AUTigersDen and all students are welcome to attend the think tanks.

Share and discuss “Student Think Tank brings local issues to forefront” on social media.