Black Student Union hosts Jazz and Poetry Night

The Black Student Union gives Auburn students the chance to become a part of this community of artists each year by hosting Jazz and Poetry Night as a social event. (Rebecca Oliver l Contributing Writer)

The Auburn University Black Student Union hosted Jazz and Poetry Night at the Auburn Arena featuring the talent of Auburn students with a passion for expressing their artistic capabilities through the mediums of music and the poetry.
"Events such as this give students the opportunity to experience jazz culture and connect with others who have similar interests," said Terrence Howard, junior in fine Arts who shared his poem "My Spoken Words."
Jazz entertainment was provided by Fred Spraggins and Company Ban, setting the mood for poems including Njeri Bennet's spoken word "My Community."
Bennet's spoken word encouraged members of the current generation to make a change in their community at Auburn.
"I appreciate the style of Njeri Bennet's work for its originality and truth," said Yasmin Maddox, freshman in biology.
Historically jazz and poetry have been connected by their philosophical messages and lyricism.
Being able to combine music and poetry to convey ideas individuals feel are important to their generation creates a sense of belonging among those involved in the arts.
The Black Student Union gives Auburn students the chance to become a part of this community of artists each year by hosting Jazz and Poetry Night as a social event.
"By hosting the Jazz and Poetry Night recurrently each fall we are able to showcase the talent of our student body and promote our organization," said Janneese Hoagland, Black Student Union member and junior in media studies.

Share and discuss “Black Student Union hosts Jazz and Poetry Night” on social media.