Increase of patrol lowers crime rate throughout town

(Why a pink logo? The Auburn Plainsman is going pink for the month of October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.)

Theft on Auburn University's campus has decreased by 8 percent, according to Capt. Lorenza Dorsey of the Auburn Police Division.
According to current records of theft reported to the Auburn Police Division, theft from cars and buildings have decreased in comparison to the same window of time during last year's football season.
"It's just the increase of patrol," Dorsey said. "We've got officers actually dedicated to patrolling certain areas they are responsible for. We've got bike officers and officers in cars and officers on foot patrol in previous areas we had issues in that we're focusing on in addition to other areas, which resulted in less thefts than we've had in previous years."
Director of public affairs David Dorton credits citizen surveys and identifying new problems to the decrease in theft.
"I don't think it's a funding issue, so much as it's just a good policing issue," Dorton said.
The division operates on a two-year budget, and the public safety department allocates money based on where they see a need, according to Dorton.
Public Safety director Bill James also credits good police work and operations by the police division for the decrease in theft.
"I think one of the biggest things, as far as reduction in thefts, is the officers working more diligently to make contact with anyone who looks suspicious, anything out of the ordinary and making those contacts," James said. "When you do that, you do come across people who are where they shouldn't be or have taken something that didn't belong to them."
James said the foot patrol, officers on bikes and T3 Patrollers, the three wheeled vehicles seen on campus, are more efficient on campus
Last year, the Auburn Police Division made 3,060 arrests and investigated 1,523 cases reported in the city, according to city records.
According to James, adjusting the budget to fit future trends is an ongoing activity.
"As the city continues to grow and our population grows, we do look at trends to see what's needed," James said.
Dorsey said he does not currently believe any area on campus is a high-risk area for theft.
"We're going to have the occasional thefts," Dorsey said. "Those are going to occur, but we take measure to prevent and also take measures to apprehend those responsible for those thefts."
Even though theft has decreased, James said there are several habits students should develop in order to limit their own risk of theft.
"We do a great job of protecting things, but we need citizens to help themselves as well," James said.
James gives advice to students.
"My best advice for students to protect themselves and their possessions is, No. 1, in vehicles, do not leave them out in sight. The other thing is to lock your vehicle, because a lot of the thefts we have are taken from vehicles that are not locked."

Share and discuss “Increase of patrol lowers crime rate throughout town” on social media.