Ring by spring: They liked it and they put a ring on it

Blakeley Kilgore, junior in art and liberal arts, shows off her engagement ring given to her by her fiance Stephen Morrow. (Emily Enfinger | Assistant Photo Editor)

At 8 a.m., Sept. 24, Conner Robbins, senior in biomedical sciences, was studying for a 9 a.m. test. He attempted to stay focused while he took his test.
It was exceptionally difficult on this Wednesday morning, because by the time he would arrive at his 1 p.m. class, he would be engaged.
"Ring by spring" is a popular notion among college students. It implies the goal of students in a long-term relationship is to get a ring, or to become engaged, by the time spring semester rolls around.
Anna Beard, junior in international business, said she is constantly scrolling through pictures of happy brides, beaming couples after the question, and newly adorned hands with rings.
Robbins proposed to his girlfriend, Candace Aikens, in the middle of the day because he knew she did not want to see the proposal coming. He figured the best way to do that and keep it special was to go to Hickory Dickory Park, the location of their first date, for a mid-week lunch.
"I proposed around 12:15, and then I had class at 1," Robbins said. "I was supposed to have class at 12, but I decided to skip that day because I had more important stuff to do."
Robbins will graduate in May 2015, and attend optometry school at the University of Alabama in Birmingham starting next fall, while Aikens will graduate with her master's degree in communication in May.
"Getting engaged is not only great because I want to marry her, but great because it works out logistically, too," Robbins said. "I wouldn't want to ask her to move somewhere else without us getting married."
Paul Aukstolis, senior in finance, is in a relationship, but said he is not worried about getting a ring by spring.
"It shouldn't be a set thing," Aukstolis said. "I don't think it's weird if someone gets engaged when they're 18, or whatever. It's just a case-by-case thing."
Beard said social media has changed engagements.
"Over the years, social media has made it a competition," Beard said. "Not just in engagements, but just showing off your relationship online and making it seem perfect, when it's not, is normal now."
As a college student, important decisions that affect future careers and life in general are being made on a regular basis.
Robbins said it was easy to make his decision to propose to his girlfriend because he knew that no matter where he went or what he did, he would want her beside him.
That means when Robbins heads to Birmingham next fall to start optometry school, he will get to start the new and unknown post-grad journey with his wife.
Robbins has two important ceremonies to attend this May.
He will start with his graduation and then his wedding two weeks later.

Share and discuss “Ring by spring: They liked it and they put a ring on it” on social media.