Players look to end careers on positive note

Seniors Ben Bradley and Gabe Wright celebrate a Missouri three-and-out during last year's SEC Championship victory in Atlanta. (File photo)

Although two consecutive losses put their national title hopes out the window, the seniors are ready to put that behind them and finish their last season on a high note.
"The thing about Auburn is we're going to have high expectations and that's just the way it's going to go," said head coach Gus Malzahn. "You're disappointed when you don't reach some of your goals. That's part of it."
The tight-knit group of 20 seniors, who will be honored on Pat Dye Field before playing in their last home game for Senior Day, have been through some of the highest of highs and lowest of lows in Auburn football.
The majority of the seniors officially committed to Auburn weeks after the 2010 BCS National Championship victory in hopes of winning a crystal ball of their own while playing for the Tigers. After one of the worst seasons in Auburn football history, the 3-9 2012 season, it looked as if that goal would be completely out of reach.
But the group responded with the biggest turnaround in college football history on its way to becoming 2013 SEC Champions, while taking down rivals Georgia and Alabama in back-to-back dramatic, unforgettable fashions.
Although they came up 13 seconds short last year and a few games short of that goal this season, the seniors said they are ready to lead the team and bounce back for these final two regular season games.
"The mindset of our team is to finish 2-0," said quarterback Nick Marshall. "Everyone is still together. We don't have anyone pointing fingers at each other."
Malzahn said anytime a team is beat convincingly, such as the 34-7 loss to Georgia, it is important for the coach to solve the issues he needs to solve as a coach and move forward.
"We have to be big boys," Malzahn said. "We've got to learn from it and bounce back."
According to the coaches, since this group of seniors has seen it all during their time on the Plains, they will be the ones expected to lead the team to a turnaround in the last two games.
"Obviously, you look at your seniors and your pivotal positions," said offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. "I think we've got plenty of guys (who can lead). From Reese (Dismukes) to Nick (Marshall) to C.J. (Uzomah) to even Quan (Bray) at times. (Cameron Artis-Payne) and Corey (Grant) don't say much, but their play speaks for themselves and the way they carry themselves. You look to all of those older guys who have been there. This is a group that has won 19 games in less than two years, so they know how to win. It's just as a collective whole group, they've got to bounce back."
Uzomah said the team's recent struggles are solely the responsibility of the seniors.
"The majority of this falls on the seniors," Uzomah said. "It's up to us to raise our level and raise everyone else's."
Uzomah said their last game together in Jordan-Hare Stadium will be an emotional time for all of the seniors, but they are looking forward to getting the job done against the Samford Bulldogs.
"I wouldn't change my four-year experience here for anything," Uzomah said. "There definitely has been some downs and lows. But there's been highs with last season and even this season. The bond that the seniors and underclassmen have, we are a family. That kind of bond is going to last a lifetime."

Share and discuss “Players look to end careers on positive note” on social media.