Professors expand soybean production

Ogles said if his research is successful, Alabama's edamame production will expand and create a larger market. (Contributed by Zack Ogles)

Zack Ogles, University agronomy and soils researcher, is using research to bring edamame, also known as soybean, production to Alabama in collaboration with agronomy and soils professors David Weaver and Elizabeth Guertal.
Ogles said edamame was first known in the United States as a side dish to sushi in Japanese restaurants, and its popularity continues to grow as health-food lovers discover the rich protein and vitamin content within edamame pods.
"Popularity has increased over the past decade between 10 and 15 percent per year," Ogles said.
Alabama's soybean producers accounted for 9.74 million bushels of soybeans in 2011.
The primary uses of soybeans are oil, livestock feed and food items, such as tofu.
"We are trying to find the best production methods for edamame," Ogles said. "If Alabama farmers want to grow edamame, we want to be able to tell them how to do that by researching what practices work best in this particular climate. Very little has been done in Alabama as far as research on edamame production prior to this."
Ogles said he received his bachelor's degree from Auburn in agronomy and soils before graduating from the horticulture master's degree program.
"I'm interested in the science of food production," Ogles said. "This research with edamame is a good fit for me because it is a cross between row crop and vegetable crop production, making it more inclusive."
Weaver and Guertal are co-advising Ogles in his research.
Weaver said he has been researching soybeans for 33 years at Auburn.
"My experience in soybean production is focused on soybean commodities and genetic research," Weaver said.
Weaver received both his undergraduate and graduate degrees in agronomy from the University of Georgia and his doctorate from Purdue University.
The edamame research project began at the University last year.
"We plan to have taste testing done of the edamame we produce sampled at local farmer's markets soon," Ogles said.
Ogles said if his research is successful, it is possible edamame production will expand in Alabama, creating a market for edamame producers.
Joni Richards, professor in agricultural communications, said she believes this research will impact a wide range of people.
"I am very proud that edamame research is being pioneered at Auburn," Richards said. "I believe this research is definitely beneficial not only to the College of Agriculture, but also to the Auburn Family as a whole and consumers at local markets."

Share and discuss “Professors expand soybean production” on social media.