LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Miscommunication in Iron Bowl chanting

I wanted to speak about the chanting at the Iron Bowl.

I am a student at the University of Alabama and was in attendance at the Iron Bowl game this weekend. After leaving the game, I saw on social media, particularly Auburn fanpages, that many people were posting that Alabama's student section were chanting "Lutzie's dead." I was appalled upon reading this. I hadn't heard a soul say anything about Lutzenkirchen the whole game. Then I remembered that we did chant, "Luck is dead," at one point in the game.
I believe this all was a misinterpretation, and the few folks I talked with corroborated this. Everyone I talked to about this was hurt that we sent a message that was heard in such a negative way. I can speak on behalf of all attending that we didn't mean to upset anyone by digging up bad memories of the late Lutz, who, as you know, was taken from us tragically this June.
Both Auburn and Alabama try to keep the rivalry humorous and at least a bit classy by drawing an imaginary line in the sand, and knowing to stay on the side of decency. We haven't forgot the good work we do together for charity or the amount of love y'all sent us when we had the tornadoes over the past years and when we had threats of gun violence to the Capstone.

Again I sincerely apologize for any hurt feelings from our chant, we didn't know y'all would interpret it in such a hurtful way.

Best Wishes,
Alex

Alex is a University of Alabama student.

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Miscommunication in Iron Bowl chanting” on social media.