City begins bids for widening of Moore's Mill Bridge

More lanes will offer more routes into town, once traffic is over the bridge, it can then be split into two directions. (Contributed by The Auburn Villager)

Auburn Public Works has taken the first steps to begin the widening of Moore's Mill Bridge, which spans over Interstate 85.
The construction, expected to begin in late April or early May, will add 3 lanes of traffic to the already existing two-lane bridge. One lane in the center will be included, allowing traffic to turn left onto East University Drive.
Construction is expected to last 12 to 18 months and costs are estimated to be between $8-10 million.
The city will be responsible for 20 percent of the costs, while the remaining 80 percent has been acquired through ATRIP funds, according to Jeffery Ramsey, director of public works.
Bid day begins March 27. This is the day that contractors present their ideas, and whoever has cheapest plan gets the job, according to Alison Frazier, engineering manager for the City of Auburn.
"This project is all about alleviating congestion and working to increase traffic capacity in the most cost effective way," Frazier said.
During construction, the flow traffic is not expected to be an issue and no alternate routes will be offered. However, driver's can choose take Ogletree road or Hamilton road.
Moores Mill Road along with Moores Mill Creek and Dean road will also be widening to five lanes, offering more traffic capacity in two directions.
In addition to added lanes, the bridge will also include a railed-off pedestrian crossing.
"Traffic in that area has been backed up over a mile during mornings and afternoons," Ramsey said. "It's time to make a change and these renovations will help prevent that."
More lanes will offer more routes into town, once traffic is over the bridge, it can then be split into two directions.
Grove Hill Road will see the addition of dual-left turn lanes coming out, and a left turn lane going in.
"The project has a simple objective," said Haley Ansley, media relations official for the project. "The city wants to increase traffic capacity and make the passages safer for drivers."

Share and discuss “City begins bids for widening of Moore's Mill Bridge” on social media.