A glimpse into a day in the life of Auburn police officers

(Kenny Moss l Assistant Photo Editor)
(Kenny Moss l Assistant Photo Editor)

Flashing red lights illuminate the night as Auburn Police Division officer Greg Miller approaches a car from the rear.
Miller knocks on the window and asks the driver, who was going 15 miles over the speed limit, if he understands why he was pulled over.
With license and registration in hand Miller makes his way back to the vehicle, glancing carefully over his shoulder because "you never know."
Sliding the license into the new computer system, Miller found the driver had a low warning level. This means they have no criminal history.
"I'm going to let him off with a warning," Miller said. "People think we have a certain number of tickets to write in a day, but no, that's not how this works."
While some head home from the typical 9-to-5, the workday is just beginning for officers such as Miller.
Each shift lasts 12 hours, with the night shift beginning at 5 p.m. Officers spend four days on and four days off for a period of three months, after which day and night shifts exchange.
While the hours might be enough to discourage some, Miller said he is honored to work for the APD. The hiring process took approximately six months, and included a psychological test, agility test and an appearance before the city board.
What followed was 13 weeks at the Police Academy, which is some of the most intense training to go through short of military service, according to Miller, who has been a part of the police division for two years.
"I love my job, and I don't take it for granted," Miller said. "It might sound cliche, but the reason I wanted to be a police officer is because I wanted to help people."
At 1:32 a.m., a call for assistance on Auburn's west side came over the radio. A victim was bleeding from an unknown location, and the alleged weapon, a knife, was missing.
Miller made a quick U-turn, turning on his lights. Within minutes, eight units were on the scene, with a secured weapon and a suspect in custody.
Apart from a brief encounter during a traffic stop or a more serious crime resulting in a backseat ride, the public has very limited interaction with law enforcement.
"I don't think people realize what we do because it's not something they see," Miller said.
APD Corporal Gregory Kloepper is currently on day shift, which begins at 5 a.m. He has spent seven years on full-time patrol and shares the same sentiment as Miller.
"I tell people I'm a cop, and they think they have my job figured out, but they don't," Kloepper said.
Kloepper gained insight into the APD as a student public safety specialist. He held duties such as traffic direction, minor accident reports and found property.
"I was able to learn what it really means to be a cop," Kloepper said. "It's not all Friday night football."
At 2:20 p.m., a call comes in. Officers are in pursuit of a vehicle off College Street. A few moments later, the vehicle is corned in a neighborhood and officers are now pursuing on foot.
With lights and sirens, Kloepper made his way to the scene with two patrol units trailing behind.
Upon arriving, officers are already canvassing the area. Kloepper exited the vehicle and they began to disappear into the woods.
There is a realization of what could happen as events unfolded. Kloepper emerged followed by several fellow officers. He glances back at the car with a wide smile and thumbs up, suspect in custody.
"Moments like this are great, after they are over," Kleopper said. "After everyone is safe. But even with something like this, beyond a doubt my favorite part of the job is being able to save a life, and that might sound cheesy, but there is nothing like looking in the mirror and realizing you did something to save someone."
The APD is focused on community style policing, meaning the goal is to promote a positive relationship with the citizens.
"Auburn is a great community to work in, and I think that's largely because of the University," Kloepper said.
Having a relationship with Auburn University and the public is vital to daily police operations, because the APD calls on citizens on a daily basis, according to Kloepper.
"If there was one thing I could say to the public it would be never be afraid to come forward, if something looks strange, call us, that's what we are here for," Miller said.
The APD is made up of former Marines, bodyguards of former presidents and those with experience in agencies such as the NYPD.
However, they all have one thing in common, an intense desire to serve.
"As cops, we do get a lot of stereotypes, but some of them are true: coffee and doughnuts -- we love them," Kloepper said.

Share and discuss “A glimpse into a day in the life of Auburn police officers” on social media.