App of the Week: 'Papers, Please' is boring fun

The iPad app uses a different interface than the original PC version of "Papers, Please." (Kyle Nazario | Intrigue Editor)

"Papers, Please" is the best boring game I've ever played. It is a game about doing repetitive, mind-numbing work, and it's fascinating.
The player takes the role of a lowly border guard for the fictional 1980s communist nation Arstotzka. They have to let in the legitimate immigrants, while barring spies, terrorists and criminals from entering the country.
Gameplay is simple. The player buzzes his or her station to call the next traveler in line. They hand over their immigration papers. The player quickly checks their passport and visa to make sure they're valid and looks for fake IDs.
The player is paid by the number of visitors processed, though income is docked for letting too many illegals through. I found myself racing against the clock, trying to process as many immigrants as possible without letting through a human trafficker or terrorist.
Saving money is important too, as the player must pay a mounting set of debts or the game ends. I often had to choose between feeding my virtual Arstotzkan family or giving them heat for the night. Earning the most money means processing immigrants as quickly as possible while still trying to check every detail.
This is the real point of "Papers, Please" -- forcing the player to make uncomfortable choices.
One woman visited my booth and asked me to let her into the country to see her sick son who needed her help. Her papers were wrong.
I thought about letting her through, knowing it would mean a citation. I considered detaining her -- the guards get paid per the detainee and split the profits with me. Throwing this old lady in jail might buy my Arstotzkan son medicine for his own illness.
Dilemmas such as this force the player to confront awkward choices about what is right. The most moral decision isn't always clear in "Papers, Please."
The moment-to-moment gameplay of swiping papers around the iPad screen and checking details is secondary to the greater narrative of trying to survive in an oppressive country where doing the right thing is severely penalized.
"Papers, Please" is available for $7.99, only on the App Store for iPad.

Kyle Nazario is the intrigue editor for The Plainsman. He can be reached at intrigue@theplainsman.com.

Share and discuss “App of the Week: 'Papers, Please' is boring fun” on social media.