Auburn hosts SEC Swimming and Diving Championships

false

Auburn is hosting the SEC Swimming and Diving Championships at the James E. Martin Aquatics Center for the first time in six years Feb. 17-21.
It will be a closely contested competition, as the Tigers face the best teams in the conference to move on to national championships.
"The SEC is very deep in swimming this year," said head coach Brett Hawke. "I think it is the deepest conference in the country. A lot of quality athletes. There is going to be some really fast swimming this week."
On the men's side, Auburn has won 16 straight conference championships from 1997-2012.
Hawke said the Tigers want to uphold the history of the program and compete as hard as they can for every athlete that has ever come through Auburn.
Two-time All-American Joe Patching will lead the charge for the men this year. The sophomore holds the sixth-fastest time in the 200 backstroke and 200 individual medley, and eighth-fastest time in the 100 back in Auburn history.
"He is one of those guys you can put in any race and know that you're going to get a great effort and is going to compete all the way to the finish," Hawke said.
The biggest threat for Auburn's men are No.1 Florida, who won the SEC championships in 2013 and 2014, and No. 8 Georgia, who placed third last year.
Georgia's women, coming off five straight wins, are the defending champions and ranked No. 1 going into the 2015 conference championships.
Besides the Bulldogs, Auburn's women expect close competition from No. 4 Texas A&M and No. 7 Florida.
Hawke said sophomore Allyx Purcell is the best swimmer for the women going into the championships. The Australian native is a two-time All-American.
"You can put her in any relay situation and she is going to perform really well," Hawke said. "Individually she is right up there with the best sprinters in the country."
Hawke said the Tigers feel comfortable competing in their home pool, but hosting the competition can bring added pressure to the team.
"It helps that we've had a lot of practice off the blocks and through the turns," Hawke said. "If the athletes can get in and out of their walls a little bit better than their competition than that is definitely and advantage for us. I think it can add pressure because the athletes feel like they have to perform even better because it is their home pool."
Hawke said he expects both Auburn squads will be relaxed when the competition starts Tuesday, Feb. 17, and ready for a hard fought battle.
"I think if we can put our best effort out, we're going to be there right at the end," Hawke said. "I'll be happy with their best effort and if at the end of the day that is good enough to win, I'll be happy with that."

Share and discuss “Auburn hosts SEC Swimming and Diving Championships” on social media.