Alpha Psi fraternity fixes procedures after safety concerns arose

The change of venue for Rodeo 2015 is not the only change being made to the event this year.

Matt Tanaka, philanthropy chairman for Alpha Psi and sophomore in veterinary medicine, explained the major changes to this year’s Rodeo.

As mentioned on the Alpha Psi Rodeo website, this year’s location is Ingram Farm in Opelika, instead of at the Adams Farm location used for the past two years.

Though the farther traveling distance is a concern for some students, Tanaka said Alpha Psi has implemented multiple logistical changes to transport attendees to and from the site.

“When we spoke with the Auburn Police Division, Lee County Sheriff and the University, their concern was the increased amount of traffic,” Tanaka said. “The new location being out of the city would open opportunities for people to drive their cars and park and tailgate. That’s always been in high demand in years past.”

Alpha Psi also eliminated parking passes, making parking free to all guests. According to Tanaka, the change seeks to “minimize the risk of having forged parking passes and forged tickets.”

This year, everyone 21 and older will have to wear a wristband.

The Alpha Psi Rodeo website said Rodeo’s new additions will “create a more festive mood and slow down the consumption of alcohol.”

Some of the new additions include misting, water bottle and sunscreen stations.

“In seeking advice from the University, the Police Division and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, alcohol is of a certain concern at our event,” Tanaka said. “It being in the nature of a college town and that many people in one area, people like to have fun and drink a lot at Rodeo.”

Capt. Chris Wallace of the Lee County Sheriff’s Office said there will be a large law enforcement presence this year.

“We want everyone to have a good time, but we’re not going to tolerate any criminal acts, especially DUIs,” Wallace said. “We’re going to be on high alert, be fair and professional, and we want it to be safe.”

Tanaka said Alpha Psi is first concerned with attendee safety, followed by the longevity of its philanthropy.

Tanaka said he hasn’t heard of specific cases involving safety at the event, but the fraternity is trying to diminish trends related to alcohol.

“The Alpha Psi Rodeo is one of our main fundraising events,” Tanaka said, “That’s where the necessity for the longevity of our event is. At the same time, we have to consider the safety of our patrons, so that is one of our major concerns, the amount of alcohol we see.”

Hannah Strickland, junior in nursing, has attended Rodeo the past two years. She said last year people consumed alcohol whether or not they were of legal age.

“I feel like it’s better that they’re making these changes, especially the drinking, but I also feel like it’s going to hurt them because people aren’t going to go because it’s strict now,” Strickland said. “People who can’t drink are probably not going to go, because that’s really what you go to do basically. You go to drink.”

Unlike last year, Alpha Psi won’t provide bus transportation to and from the event because the larger size of this year’s location allows for more parking and the farther location made having buses impractical, according to Tanaka.

“Last year we had to utilize a bus system simply to get people on site and allow them to have an usable access route to our event,” Tanaka said. “The event was a lot closer and the bus route was a lot more practical, but this year we will not have transportation to the event.”

Though the absence of alternate transportation raises concerns about drunken driving after the event, Tanaka said Alpha Psi will try to compensate for the lack of buses.

“We want to reiterate a need for designated drivers and also not take away the personal responsibility of making good choices,” Tanaka said. “We would most certainly allow taxis access to our event, should someone need a ride home if we couldn’t provide them a way home or if there was no other way. Just like years past, they will definitely be allowed to leave their cars on-site until noon the next day.”

Tanaka said the fraternity is exploring alternatives, but is not ready to comment on specific considerations at this time.

Alpha Psi is working closely with the APD and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, according to Tanaka.

“They are going to be on the lookout a lot more than most students would think in years past for drinking and driving,” Tanaka said. “We’re going to do our best to cooperate with the Sheriff’s Office and the Police Division to have lit police cars stationed every half-mile or mile on the route back to Auburn.”

Tanaka said the change of restroom facilities this year arose from Alpha Psi and the University’s concern about the specific needs for different sexes. There will be more portable restrooms scattered in multiple locations to evenly distribute crowds.

“Having everyone in one area trying to use the restroom, some things could go wrong,” Tanaka said. “We just don’t want groupings of people where you could see any kind of behavior occur,” Tanaka said. “We haven’t had any complaints that I know of. It’s just one thing we think we can make better.”

This year, no attendees will be allowed to enter the event in the truck bed of a vehicle, according to Tanaka.

“In our talks with the Police Division and sheriff of Lee County, we feel that it is safest that people come to our event inside of a car and with seat belts on,” Tanaka said. “That’s one thing we’re not going to stand for. You can be injured in a 5 mile per hour car wreck in the back of a pickup truck. That’s a concern of ours.”

Tanaka said safety measures are a major concern to Alpha Psi because it’s directly involved with attendees.

“These are our Auburn brothers and sisters,” Tanaka said. “We don’t want to do anything that’s going to guide them in a direct to make poor decisions. We just want to encourage everyone to be mindful of their alcohol consumption, come out to have good time, be safe and make plans and considerations of their fellow peers.”

Rodeo will be held April 11.

Share and discuss “Alpha Psi fraternity fixes procedures after safety concerns arose” on social media.