Free kick from midfield eliminates Tigers from NCAA Tournament

false

Auburn has now won three of their last four matches while the team looks to improve their post-season resume. (C.J. Holmes l Sports Writer)

Tied with Texas Tech at 1-1 with only minutes to go, the Auburn women's soccer team seemed bound for its seventh overtime game of the season.

But an Alli Murphy free kick from near midfield floated over Auburn goalkeeper Alyse Scott's head and into the back of the net to defeat the Tigers 2-1.

It was a heartbreaking loss for the Tigers, as a win would have sent Auburn to its first soccer Sweet 16.

Auburn opened the scoring, as Kristen Dodson's shot was saved, and Tori Ball finished off the rebound in the fifth minute.

Texas Tech tied it up in the 31st minute off a Paige Strahan shot into the top corner.

The game remained even until Alli Murphy's game-winning set piece in the 87th minute.

Auburn finished with seven shots and had three more corners than the Red Raiders, but could not build on the early lead. Alyse Scott finished with five saves.

The Tigers finish the season 12-7-3, making the second round of the NCAA Tournament for only the sixth time in the program's history.

Share and discuss “Free kick from midfield eliminates Tigers from NCAA Tournament” on social media.