Instructor writes 2-D action game about rebel ninja battling Elvis impersonators

Many people play video games, but Auburn University communication and journalism instructor Joshua Hillyer is helping make one.
"I think it's one of the most exciting forms of media," Hillyer said. "Video games are an area that I want to affect positively."
Hillyer said he is aiming to affect video games with a two-dimensional action game "Neon the Ninja." The game follows a renegade ninja as he rebels against his clan.
"He's very punk rock," Hillyer said.
Hillyer said players traverse a two-dimensional world, fighting enemies and hunting down eight different bosses like in the classic Mega Man games.
The game's website advertises it as a "Quentin Tarantino-v.-Saturday-morning-cartoon take on video games."
"It definitely has a comedic tone," Hillyer said.
Stuart Phelps, the game's programmer, artist and original creator, said he got the idea from an episode of "Samurai Jack" where the main character hides within a neon billboard.
Hillyer joined Phelps and soundtrack composer Chris Sinnott in July 2013. Phelps had been developing "Neon the Ninja" for approximately one year.
Sinnott said Phelps found him through a forum.
"I was pretty much onboard immediately because it looked so promising," Sinnott said.
Phelps said he found Hillyer through Facebook while he was posting about a new game he wanted to make. The two knew each other from playing in the same punk rock scene 10 years previously.
"He's a really cool guy, and his band was cool people," Phelps said.
Phelps originally hired Hillyer as a writer to write the in-game story, dialogue and promotional materials, but Hillyer has since become involved with design decisions as well.
Hillyer said he places non-player characters within the game and writes cutscenes to convey the plot.
"I'd like to make a game that feels great to play, has a story that makes people laugh, but [the story] doesn't get in the way," Hillyer said.
Although he writes the plot, Hillyer said he writes content for games with a light touch, adding cutscenes and other story elements that take away gameplay time only when necessary.
Hillyer said his favorite part of writing "Neon the Ninja" is creating each boss.
"Villains have always interested me," Hillyer said. "They're all so bizarre and yet understandable. One (villain) is a deranged Elvis impersonator. Though he is a crime lord, you see how his life could have turned out differently."
Hillyer said his least favorite part is the sheer amount of time involved in creating a video game.
Phelps, who has been working on "Neon the Ninja" since fall 2012, said finding time to do the work has been the hardest part of development for him as well.
Phelps said it can be difficult to choose between spending time working on his main job as a web designer, finding freelance work on the side, spending time with his girlfriend and working on the game.
Hillyer said writing comes after his day job as well.
"I've always looked at my role as a writer as a secondary thing," Hillyer said. "There's not a lot of work for indie game writers."
Hillyer said he, Phelps and Sinnott plan to fundraise for "Neon the Ninja" on Kickstarter in late 2016 to early 2017 for release on Steam and Wii U. The funding they receive will determine the final version of the game's complexity.
"I have a lot of great plans for this game, but we'll see," Phelps said.

Share and discuss “Instructor writes 2-D action game about rebel ninja battling Elvis impersonators” on social media.