International Student Organization's World Fair brings culture to the concourse

false

(Rachel Sprouse | Assistant Photo Editor)

On the Haley Concourse today, students and faculty were able to learn about other cultures at the International Student Organization's World Fair. Various organizations, such as the Indian Student Association and the Taiwan Student Association, set up displays to share their upcoming events and culture with Auburn's campus.
"It's nice to have a chance to show off our culture," said Oluwatomilola Adekoya, senior in chemical engineering. "We have a lot more to offer than what you think."
As a member of the African Students Association (ASA), Adekoya is particularly excited to share her culture with the other students.
"We are a rich continent, not just a country," Adekoya said. "We have a lot more to offer than what [students] think."
Adekoya also said she hopes "stereotypes will be changed" and students will want to get involved with upcoming events, such as Around the World in 80 Bites and Peace Dinner, after the World Fair.
Shubbhi Taneja, graduate student in computer science, is "thankful to share with others about (her) culture and diversity" on campus. Taneja is a member of the Indian Student Association and wants others to know that "though India is diverse and [has] more than 22 languages, (they) are united and can communicate with each other" with English and Hindi, India's national languages.
Taneja also recommends students to come to their events, such as their Indian Cultural Association of East Alabama (ICAEA) Picnic on Aug. 24 and Diwali on Nov. 1 in the Student Center Ballroom.
"It's so great that we have (World's Fair) every year!" said Bin Yeh, graduate student in mathematics.
Yeh is a member of the Taiwan Student Association and said he is excited to be a part of the World's Fair.
"It's nice to be on the Haley Concourse," Yeh said. "It's one of the busiest parts of Auburn's campus."
Yeh said he is happy to share with students some facts about Taiwan's culture.
"Not a lot of students know where Taiwan is or some of the things it produces, like HTC phones and Acer products," Yeh said.
He also pointed to some of the souvenirs available at their table, such as wooden key chains in the shape of Taiwan and their currency.
Yeh said he's particularly excited about the potluck dinners and cookouts that are coming up.
"We celebrate the Moon Festival and have a Summer Festival with a large potluck," Yeh said.
In addition to today's World Fair, students have a variety of ways to get involved with these organizations. Students can attend events or take courses such as Indian Music Ensemble. They can also learn more about the various International organizations on AUinvolve.

Share and discuss “International Student Organization's World Fair brings culture to the concourse” on social media.