Limited contributions doom Auburn against Crimson Tide

false

Players not named Antoine Mason or KT Harrell didn't do much to help Auburn Tuesday.
Mason and Harrell combined for 45 points in the Tigers 79-68 loss to Alabama, Mason with 24, Harrell with 21.
If you add in Cinmeon Bowers, the three Tigers put up all but 9 of Auburn's points.
"That just is an example of our roster and our limitations and our lack of depth and the things that we've struggled with all year long" said head coach Bruce Pearl. "Sometimes it gets exposed and sometimes it doesn't. It's disappointing when it gets exposed against your rival."
While Bowers did add 14 points, three of which came from a late three-pointer, the forward also had a few mistakes, which Pearl said proved to be costly.
"We rely heavily on Bowers," Pearl said. "When (he) doesn't play as well as he's capable of, it's hard for us to win. Unfortunately, some of his mistakes were obviously really magnified."
Only two other players found the basket for Auburn on the night. Jordon Granger had four points, and TJ Lang, who was averaging less than two points a game coming into tonight, added five.
KC Ross-Miller, Malcolm Canada, Trayvon Reed and Devin Waddell all saw time on the court, and all combined for zero points.
Even with the lack of production from his team, head coach Bruce Pearl said he takes full responsibility for the loss.
"That's about as bad as we've played this year," Pearl said. "I told the players you've got to be accountable, and it starts with me. I did not have a great game plan tonight."
Overall, the Tigers shot 39.3 percent from the field, while the Crimson Tide shot 52.9, with a 59.3 mark in the second half.
"You can't let a team shoot 60 percent," Pearl said. "Alabama is very athletic, very strong, very quick and very powerful. We looked slow and poorly prepared, and that's my responsibility."
Auburn led by three at half, but Alabama caught fire in the second half, and Antoine Mason said that defense had more to do with the loss than lack of offensive firepower.
"It's not about the offense, it's our defense," Mason said. "We didn't stop anybody in the second half."
As it has been all season, Auburn's lack of size was a problem again Tuesday. Alabama out-rebounded the Tigers 40-26, and had 16 second-chance points.
"(Jimmie) Taylor, (Michael) Kessens and (Shannon) Hale, those three guys are bigger than anybody we have," Pearl said. "They did a good job of taking advantage of their size and athleticism.
Pearl added that while all the losses hurt, losing to a rival for the second time in a season stings a little more.
"It's a game that sticks with you all summer long and all year long," Pearl said. "I talked about it being a must-win for our team and I felt like it was. I think if you're going to be successful anywhere, you've got to beat your rival, and I couldn't beat them this year. It's a real negative mark on this team and this program as we're trying to rebuild."
The loss drops Auburn to 12-14 overall with a 4-9 record in SEC play, and things won't get easier from here.
Saturday, the Tigers will travel to Lexington to take on John Calipari and the No.1 Kentucky Wildcats (26-0). That game will tip off at 6 p.m. and be broadcast on ESPN.

Share and discuss “Limited contributions doom Auburn against Crimson Tide” on social media.