Local flea market raises money for Habitat for Humanity

The flea market, located behind ReStore at 3931 Pepperell Parkway in Opelika, donates money to the ReStore. (Contributed by Patricia Mack)

Habitat for Humanity offers help to those who cannot afford the housing they need for themselves or their families, but they can't give out help unless they get some help of their own.
Members of the community have started a flea market to benefit Habitat for Humanity ReStore. The ReStore is a state supported organization that helps Habitat for Humanity.
"We're kind of an umbrella organization that serves them," said Drew Riley, Alabama ReStore manager. "What we do is provide contacts, services, and merchandise and generally help fund and support these efforts throughout the state."
The flea market, located behind ReStore at 3831 Pepperell Parkway in Opelika, donates money to the ReStore.
Patricia Mack, organizer of the flea market, said the idea for the market started from her online garage sale group, Restored Treasures, where people can buy items online and pay when they meet to pick it up.
"We had been looking for a flea market area and Tony Harris, who was the previous store manager, had tried to get a flea market going there two years ago," Mack said. "He just didn't have the time or the resources to make it grow and he knew that we could, so it grew out of that discussion . . . through our online garage sale site."
Vendors rent out spots and sell their items including items such as handmade jewelry, handmade soaps, clothing, furniture, antiques and kitchen utensils .
"People go to auctions, they go to thrift stores, they are cleaning out their homes, it's items that other people have given them (and) mostly just their own personal items that they're selling," Mack said.
The flea market is set up with sheltered spots in the back vendors can rent out, as well as outdoor spots. Vendors can rent a table for an additional fee.
"None of the sales go to Habitat, just the rent, that's why I try to get as many vendors in as I can," Mack said. "The more vendors, the more income for Habitat."
There is an opportunity for students who want to get involved in helping to raise money for Habitat for Humanity through the flea market.
Hiram Williamson, volunteer coordinator at Alabama ReStore, said students can come to the store and sign up, and if they have opportunities to do things at the flea market they will send them there.
"We have anywhere from four to five will come in and they'll go out there and help situate stuff," Williamson said. "They'll set up for the vendors to come in and stuff like that."
Mack said that the flea market is starting to grow, but they want to get more young people involved and more vendors.
Mack said the prices for the objects could range from $0.50 to $50.
"It's a great opportunity to clean your house and clean your storage shed out and get some money, some income, rather than having a garage sale at your house," Mack said. "I advertise for them and it's a better venue then having something at your home."

Share and discuss “Local flea market raises money for Habitat for Humanity” on social media.