Softball blows out Troy in season's first win

false

<p>Emily Carosone makes contact for her first home run of the season. (Kenny Moss | Asst. Photo Editor)</p>

Emily Carosone makes contact for her first home run of the season. (Kenny Moss | Asst. Photo Editor)

It didn't look good in the beginning.
Troy put up four quick runs in the top of the first, and Auburn's softball season was off to a nightmare of a start.
Then the Tigers came to the plate.
In a first inning that lasted just minutes shy of an hour, 14 runs crossed the plate. 10 of them belonged to the Tigers, including a grand slam from second baseman Emily Carosone. After that, the onslaught of runs continued for the Tigers, and the Trojans only notched one more run. The game was called by way of the mercy rule at a score of 15-5.
"It feels good to get any win," said head coach Clint Meyers. "They all feel good. The nicest thing is, we gave up four in the first and then answered back with 10. That says a lot about character."
The winning pitcher on the night was Lexi Davis, who pitched three innings and gave up four runs, all in the first inning.
"I think I just came out a little excited, a little tight," Davis said. "I just took a breather and went back and threw a little bit more and settled down and told myself 'I don't need to do too much.'"
Davis said it's comforting for her to see that she can get run support when she needs it.
"It means the world," Davis said. "We have one of the best offenses in the country. Knowing that we can come out and answer right back with 10 runs just makes my life a lot easier.
Overall, the Tigers totaled 15 runs on 12 hits, and only left three players on base.
Next up, the Tigers play host in the season's first tournament, the Plainsman Invite.
"You're going to face one good pitcher from every ball club," Meyers said. "We've got some pretty good teams coming in. The most important thing is getting some experience, and getting as many people to play as we can."

Share and discuss “Softball blows out Troy in season's first win” on social media.