Weekend Roundup: Soccer splits road trip, beats Arkansas in double-OT

false

Kristen Dodson, 35, attempting to score a goal. (Kenny Moss | Photographer)

Auburn soccer lost 3-1 Friday night at No. 8 Texas A&M, but answered with a 2-1 win over Arkansas Sunday in double-overtime.
Though they played well in the second half against A&M, the Tigers fell into a hole in the first half that was too much to overcome, as the Aggies scored the first three goals of the game.
The first goal came in the 18th minute from a throw-in that deflected off the crossbar and fell to A&M's Annie Kunz for her fourth goal of the season.
Nine minutes later, the Auburn defense was unable to clear an errant shot from Bianca Brinson, allowing the ball to find its way into the corner of the net.
The Tigers' final blow came in the 35th minute, as an Aggie free kick was chipped into the box and headed in by Janae Cousineau for her third goal of the season.
Brooke Ramsier was able to convert a penalty kick in the 41st minute for the Tigers for her team-leading fourth goal of the season, but Auburn struggled to create many offensive opportunities afterward.
Auburn was outshot 20-9, and Alyse Scott's seven saves were not enough to keep the Tigers in the game.
But on Sunday, the Tigers bounced back against Arkansas, keeping them in the hunt for their 13th straight conference tournament berth.
Just two minutes into the game, the Razorbacks opened the scoring, as Tyler Allen scored from five yards out.
But in the second half, Alex Massey tied it up for Auburn with her first goal of the season.
The two teams then headed into overtime, where the first period ended scoreless, and it looked as if the Tigers were headed for another tie.
But junior Haley Gerken sealed it for Auburn, scoring from a volley 30 yards out, floating the ball over the keeper who had come off of her line.
Auburn moves to 8-5-3 overall and 2-3-3 in conference play. The Tigers play in their final home stand this weekend, starting Thursday against Mississippi State at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Weekend Roundup: Soccer splits road trip, beats Arkansas in double-OT” on social media.